Any mule deer tips?

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone have any tips for a first time mule deer hunter in the badlands? My wife drew a buck tag and we are very much looking forward to the season after hunting whitetails our whole life. Basically just looking for some info on the best tactics, types of cover to target, ect. to be successful. Definitely not looking for the biggest horns, as our time spent together hiking the badlands will be the true trophy for us.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
First of all. what unit?? Get a Grassland map, and see how much grassland is in that unit. As for landowner permission, gets kinda tough, by all means not trying to discourage not asking, please do. Good Luck and have fun!!! Its nice country.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I intentionally didn't list the unit because I don't really want to ask for specific spots. (or get accused of using the internet to scout ;)) The unit is approximately 50% grasslands and we are somewhat familiar with the land since we went turkey hunting out there this spring. Just not sure exactly how to go about finding the deer this time of the year or the best way to hunt them.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First time I went we try to hunt like we did our whitetail with drives and posters. I guess it did work but would see these guys standing on top and using binoculars. After a few tries and bow hunting found out for us the best way was to just sit, look and stalk. Mainly in the morning and evenings. At certain times they came out just like mice and then one takes it from there. Also for me was a surprise how many mule deer one could find but just looking in the day time as they were laying on the side of a butte. Take your time by just sitting, which was hard for me at first, and glass for the deer.
Also found out that by asking I was surprise by the help we got. there was few times but most of the time the ranchers were good to work with. Also as stated get a map so you know where the public land is. db

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of glassing. I was out this weekend and was sitting on a side hill with my brother. We were there for about ten minutes and were eating food and talking. We were just getting up to leave and he spotted a big mature buck bedded only 150 yards away from us. He just stared us down and didn't move.

I would say you see probably 50% of the mule deer that are actually there. Its amazing how they blend in and can "hide" behind a little hill or in trees.

I used to just sit on the highest hill and glass for hours. Now I slowly walk from ridge to ridge. A different angle is all it takes some times.

When there is no snow I look for white spots. Their rumps stick out from a long way away and their face.

If you go later in the season when the rut is farther along, if you see does watch them for a long time. There is more than likely a buck within a 100 yards. A lot of times they will bed just far enough away to keep an eye on them.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is Eastman's guide to field judging....

First determine the distance between a buck’s ears, ear-tip to ear-tip across the forehead. This measurement will be used to evaluate inside spread width. Unfortunately mule deer ears will vary in length from 9 to 10 inches depending on the unit or state. In addition some bucks in certain units will have bigger heads adding to the ear tip to ear tip length. In my experience Wyoming and Idaho mule deer, tip to tip, will vary from 21 to 23 inches. However in Colorado and Utah ear widths will be 24 to 25 inches. I guarantee that there will be exemptions to the rule in all western states, but this is a beginning benchmark. Saying that, you need to gather your own ground knowledge for the units you personally hunt.

My first rule for judging is what I call “good fronts will make up for bad backs.” The “fronts” include the three measurements:
1. The inside spread (determined by comparing it to the ear-tip to ear-tip length)
2. The length of the G-4 points (points coming off the main beam)
3. The length of the two main beams (visually take the length of an ear, end over end, up the main beam to come up with a sum total. Three ears = 27 to 30 inches)
It’s easy to evaluate the length of a G-4. A long G-4 can almost reach as high as the back tines in length. A short G-4 ranges from 4 to 6 inches in length. Remember long G-4’s are a sign of a good main frame.
These 5 measurements (the inside spread, two G-4’s and two main beams) in inches will usually add up to 49 – 60% of the bucks total rack score. So this is the most important section of a racks score.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is Eastman's guide to field judging....

Unfortunately mule deer ears will vary in length from 9 to 10 inches depending on the unit or state. In addition some bucks in certain units will have bigger heads adding to the ear tip to ear tip length. In my experience Wyoming and Idaho mule deer, tip to tip, will vary from 21 to 23 inches. However in Colorado and Utah ear widths will be 24 to 25 inches.

Anyone measure the length and tip to tip width of the ears on ND mule deer? Or have used this method and verified it with actual deer in hand?

Last edited:

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you take your time and glass the public land that is out there and can get away from the rest of the Orange mob you guys will find deer and have a blast, but take the time to just sit and glass you can look over the same bush 20 times and the 21st time you look you will notice there is a mule deer in there and if there is one lots of times there is more

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glass, glass, glass! They usually lay facing south to soak up the sun when its cold and face north in the shade when its hot. They like to lay in the top 2/3rds of the hills on benches or flat spots up there, BUT they could be anywhere! Keep your eyes peeled!

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start scouting and learning the area and deer in that unit months before the season starts, not days.

Signed,

Another bitter lifelong badlands hunter with no tag and 7 points.

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start scouting and learning the area and deer in that unit months before the season starts, not days.

Signed,

Another bitter lifelong badlands hunter with no tag and 7 points.

today my wolfpack grew by one.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of glassing. I was out this weekend and was sitting on a side hill with my brother. We were there for about ten minutes and were eating food and talking. We were just getting up to leave and he spotted a big mature buck bedded only 150 yards away from us. He just stared us down and didn't move.

I would say you see probably 50% of the mule deer that are actually there. Its amazing how they blend in and can "hide" behind a little hill or in trees.

I used to just sit on the highest hill and glass for hours. Now I slowly walk from ridge to ridge. A different angle is all it takes some times.

When there is no snow I look for white spots. Their rumps stick out from a long way away and their face.

If you go later in the season when the rut is farther along, if you see does watch them for a long time. There is more than likely a buck within a 100 yards. A lot of times they will bed just far enough away to keep an eye on them.

what he said

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
glass and glass then glass some more. Putting the binocs on the tripod have resulted in me seeing a lot more deer and glassing more as it is more comfortable

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
you should be glassing a lot more than anything else. also use the wind to your advantage. if you wanna shoot a bedded mulie it is certainly advantages to use the wind in your favor. if you want to hunt a specific spot and the wind isn't right don't hunt it. be patient wait and when the right conditions present themselves you will be able to stalk them nicely.

make sure you see them before they see you.....:;:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

ive witnessed many guys just walking randomly into public land not paying attention to wind and you can bet your ass they didn't see nearly what they could have if they paid attention to IMO the most important part of deer hutning

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good info above. Also, don't be afraid to check out some smaller, flatter creek bed areas. Have seen some giant bucks over the years in those areas people usually overlook for mulies. Just a tip but if you spook a deer and he takes off over a hill and you think you can just check over that hill and try to find him, you won't, they can cover a surprising amount of country in a short time. I've hunted with whitetail guys out there before and they tend to like to walk and push areas and think they can just follow the deer and find them after spooking them. It's not impossible to find them again but improbable. Also, make sure you don't shoot an animal in places you aren't prepared to get them out of. I suggest being prepared to quarter the deer instead of dragging it out, especially if it's just you and your wife. Some areas don't look too rugged but when you hike up and down these hills they can be surprisingly deceiving. Good luck and enjoy. There is a lot of beautiful country out there. Unfortunately, no one in my group got a tag this year but we will be going anyway just to enjoy the scenery.

- - - Updated - - -

If I knew you were hunting the same unit we hunt I could give you some areas to check out with tons of open land. Not only for deer but also areas that hold bighorn sheep as well. I know you don't have a sheep tag but damn those things are cool to see and we see them in the same areas every year.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No need to repeat good info and do agree with others that you will be more successful hunting with binoculars than with your feet. You want to see them before they see you. Agree with others, you can sit and see nothing and pretty soon one will show up over there and then another over here and where there were no deer, you now have several. From my experience mule deer seem to move more during the day than whitetails. If the rut is on you will see bucks with does and usually several does as opposed to one or two.

The country can be rough but is also beautiful. That is why I find binoculars so effective. Trying to cover all that area by walking will wear a person out and usually push bucks out in front of you that you will rarely see or possibly only see a butt going over a hill.

You mentioned you weren't trophy hunting. Don't know what you consider a trophy but I will bet you won't have much trouble finding a decent 4X4 or 3X3 instead of shooting the first fork horn you see. Someone mentioned staying away from the orange circus. Sometimes all that orange is because there are deer there, my experience is that it's orange because it's easy to get too. I've found little pockets that are more work to get to that will hold lots of deer.

Pay heed to whoever suggested being willing to quarter a deer (I prefer boning it out) instead of dragging out. If boned out you do have to bring out proof of sex. Take a backpack if you have one. Dragging a deer out of a hole is a chore, Carrying it out in pieces is much easier. Two of you can easily carry out a buck in two trips. Possibly one dependent on how heavy you want your pack and how far to the road or trail. Remember, on national grasslands you cannot drive off trail, even to retrieve.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you all for the advice and help. That is exactly what I was looking for and will give us a great start. We are heading out November 10 to hopefully avoid the main crowd. I definitely agree about packing the thing out. After dragging an antelope 2 miles back to my truck once, I vowed never to do that again!

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are heading out November 10 to hopefully avoid the main crowd.

Everyone I have talked to with a mule deer tag said they are going to avoid the first weekend and focus on the second weekend till close of season. This is probably over a dozen people. I'm starting to think opening week will have less hunting pressure out there.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone I have talked to with a mule deer tag said they are going to avoid the first weekend and focus on the second weekend till close of season. This is probably over a dozen people. I'm starting to think opening week will have less hunting pressure out there.

lol. I'm thinking the same. That's why I'm hunting everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Friday could be pretty slow for hunting pressure. 66 degrees and its obviously a week day.

- - - Updated - - -

#the forecast sucks

- - - Updated - - -

can't kill from the couch though.

Last edited:

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol. I'm thinking the same. That's why I'm hunting everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Friday could be pretty slow for hunting pressure. 66 degrees and its obviously a week day.

- - - Updated - - -

#the forecast sucks

- - - Updated - - -

can't kill from the couch though.

Yeah I'm not heading out till late Friday night. Going to be in 4B, what about you?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flat land muley stinks, Badlands muleys smell even worse. Thats my tip. I will never shoot another muley, I stick to white tails and leave them stinkers to you all. My wife wouldn't even cook it in the house the last time I shot one 10+ years ago.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be in 4D.

Walleye101 decided it would be a good idea to get married opening weekend of deer season. So I have to drive all the way to Devils Lake Saturday after my quick morning hunt. Hopefully I'll be tagged out Friday and not have to worry about that. Highly doubt it though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67