How hard is it to get an elk tag in ND?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried searching for this info on the ND GNF site and couldn't find anything. What are the odds for drawing an anterless only?

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want an antlerless, they aren't hard to get. One of my coworkers drew a cow elk for e2 and cow moose for m9 this year... first time ever applying...

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before you take the cow/calf only plunge, hear me out. Been an ND resident all my life (33 years). Been putting in for the big 3 since I was able. Last year I got impatient and decided screw antlers, I want to eat an elk! So I put in for cow/calf and drew. While I was out there scouting/bowhunting early I saw several nice bulls that I could've killed. Same story during the rifle season. I kicked myself more times than I care to count for not waiting. ND has some of the bigger bulls I've seen on public land, and if you get a tag you have a genuine chance to shoot a stud. Now if you absolutely don't care about ever shooting a bull, by all means go cow tag. It's still an elk hunt and it's still the funnest hunt I've had in ND. You will almost certainly pull a tag if you choose first choice cow.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
its not 100%
Wife did cow calf on moose and elk this year and got shot down.
Me... Bull only. Ill draw a tag when im 80

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well from stores I've heard from guys that have applied since they could, they have been shot down, me on the other hand, first time I applied I drew and any elk tag, hunted killdeer mountains and down around bears den, only came across a cow, seen bulls, but they were way back in no mans land on grasslands. To make this short, I didn't have all my homework done and knew noone at the time I drew that could help me bag one, so I got skunked to say the least. After telling my story to others couple years after I got the tag, all I got was, 'why the hell didn't you tell me" type of look and followed with " I could have taken you right to one * Yes, its hard to draw an Elk tag in ND and once you get it, whether your fill or not, your Elk hunting in ND is one and done. Like some of you on here, I'm not to impressed with our G & F Dept either I think I'll move to Montana, become a resident so I can pay 30 or so bucks for an elk tag, not a bad thought.

I think they should allow the people that don't fill, send the tag back in, then in X years, you are allowed to reapply. Just my 2 cents.i

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well from stores I've heard from guys that have applied since they could, they have been shot down, me on the other hand, first time I applied I drew and any elk tag, hunted killdeer mountains and down around bears den, only came across a cow, seen bulls, but they were way back in no mans land on grasslands. To make this short, I didn't have all my homework done and knew noone at the time I drew that could help me bag one, so I got skunked to say the least. After telling my story to others couple years after I got the tag, all I got was, 'why the hell didn't you tell me" type of look and followed with " I could have taken you right to one * Yes, its hard to draw an Elk tag in ND and once you get it, whether your fill or not, your Elk hunting in ND is one and done. Like some of you on here, I'm not to impressed with our G & F Dept either I think I'll move to Montana, become a resident so I can pay 30 or so bucks for an elk tag, not a bad thought.

I think they should allow the people that don't fill, send the tag back in, then in X years, you are allowed to reapply. Just my 2 cents.i

I think that's dumb. haha

Why should other people lose another chance at getting an elk tag because you were unprepared and didn't fill you tag?

Also Montana is a huge state with a shit ton more elk than ND. Comparing elk hunting in ND to MT is apples to oranges.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I drew an any elk tag back in 95 or 96 did my homework scouted a lot and got a 5x5 on opening weekend not the biggest but ok by me. If you draw either cow or bull you best do that homework or you will get crap. Bulls are mostly by themselves and are easy to sneek up on, one set of eyes. Where as cows are usually hearded up with many sets of eyes, ears, and noses. Makes sence to me.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
seen bulls, but they were way back in no mans land on grasslands.

Sounds like you didn't need any help. Where do you think you will find the elk?

To stay on topic, chances to draw cow tags in either species seems rather high. Most people who apply for cow elk seem to get drawn in 1-2 years. Cow moose seems to take a bit longer.

A ND cow elk hunt is still a hunt and not the easiest tag to fill. I know more who ate the tag then filled it. They tend to stay in herds and thus if the herd finds a nice safe place on private they will likely spend most of their time there. Other thing you will run across is 2-5 groups or tag holders chasing after the same heard, so it can get frustrating.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

If the grass lands were public and you thought those were no mans land dont even bother going to montana where no mans land really exist. Letting people have another chance is akin to participation trophies not every one gets an elk that shows up

Tom Schauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have a 2% chance.

In 2015, 274 total tags were issued. 50 went to landowners. So, I am going to just say 224 total tags were issued. 11,121 people applied.

So 224/11,121 = .0201420735545365

Me

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have a 2% chance.

In 2015, 274 total tags were issued. 50 went to landowners. So, I am going to just say 224 total tags were issued. 11,121 people applied.

So 224/11,121 = .0201420735545365

Me

Don't go using hard facts and logic around here. These parts don't take kindly to such Tomfoolery!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69