Handloading 6.5 creedmoor

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son just purchased a 6.5,26" bull barrel with1/8 twist, now to work up a hunting load.
He would like to use 140 accubonds.
A search of the web has me leaning toward H4350 or H4831sc, with a few giving Varget an
Reloader 17 the nod.
I know the 6.5 creedmoor has been discussed here often, just wondering if anyone could chime in with favorite deer load and also a varmit load.
Thanks!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
H4350 42 grains 143 hornady eldx. 2.831 coal. The Berger's are killer to. Not a fan of the accu bond

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 42.5 grains of IMR 4350 and 130gr Berger VLD's, 2750fps, COAL 2.815

How do you like the ELD X as I have been thinking about giving them a try some day

- - - Updated - - -

Oops meant for Kurtr, not enough coffee

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So far like the accuracy didnt get to try on elk some whitetails are going to pay the price the next few weekends i have 3 deer tags to fill between east and west. If they perform like the amax it will equal dead stuff

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was bow hunting this week-end, but camped out in the Sheyenne River valley where I also did a little shooting. A few years ago I gave away a hand press, only to buy a new one not as good for twice the money this summer. So I did a little reloading and chronographing in camp. Really need a lab radar.

In my Savage action with a Criterion barrel I have a very long throat and used the early factor load which was 41.5 gr H4350 with a 140 gr bullet. I was using 140 Berger VLDs. I shot some 140 AMAX and 123 AMAX in that rifle, but the accuracy wasn't there compared to the VLD. So a month ago I purchased a Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor. I picked up 100 of the 143 ELD-X and they shot very well so I picked up 500 more bullets. The BA Stealth has a shorter throat and the magazine is even shorter. I would have to shoot the VLDs single shot because they like to be close to the lands. The ELD-X I have loaded with different distances from the lands and they are all accurate.

So back to reloading and shooting in camp. I took along a battery powered scale and my chronograph. I wanted to do some playing around with Western Powders specifically Bighorn Hunter. I started out at minimum recommended load and the pressure was so low I jumped a full grain, another full grain, a half grain, another half grain, and I think I can go another half grain or more. When I stopped I was at 2794 fps. I think I can get it to 2825 of a little better. At 800 yards it was striking a full minute of angle higher than my old loads. Turned the scope down and the group looked good to the spotter, but I have not put it on paper yet.

I wish I knew if there was any difference in temperature sensitivity between H4350 and Bighorn Hunter which is a ball powder. Some of the ball powders don't ignite well in very cold temperatures, and lose a little velocity.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Hunter in 270 win, 243win, and 22-250/75gn A-max. Lot to lot variability is nil. I don't have any good cold weather chrono data though. Load them all on a 550. Accuracy seems best as one approaches max load. Pretty much always used Win large rifle (non mag) primers as that's what I've got a good store of.

Last edited:

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take it you like the savage 10ba in 6.5 then? I've been looking at either buying or building a 6.5 creedmore, whats the lightest bullet a guy can launch out of that 10ba?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only gone down to 120 Nosler Ballistic tip and 123 Amax. I have pushed both over 3000 fps with Hodgon Superformance.

Yes I do like the Savage 10BA. They advertise factory blueprinting, and the rifle does shoot right around 1/4 inch groups with the 143 ELD-X, and that's without playing around with loads much. My other Creedmoor is very picky about the stock it is in. I have tried two stocks by Boyd, and the groups are ok, but change position from day to day. I have it in a Bell & Carlson Medalist right now and it's very accurate and consistent in that stock. I don't like carrying it and swinging with game in that stock. I ordered steel pillars from Brownell's and glass bedded the stock. My only problem is I took the scope off to use on my new 10BA until the new scope for it arrives. I guess it's a wait and see game now.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a reloader, you should have learned that the bullet, powder charge, overall length, even the primer isn't up to you, it's up to the barrel. Reloading and testing is a search (call it a hunt) for the combination the barrel, and its bedding, likes.
I have a 6.5X55 which uses powder charges very similar to the Creedmore. Mine likes Hornady bullets best. The magic potion is around 47gr H4831SC with a 140 SST, and around 47gr Alliant Reloader 19 with a 129 Spire Point.
You don't have my rifle. Good luck with your search for almost perfection. I hit very good accuracy with the second and third handloads I tried. Most boring rifle I've ever owned.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do what hornady does it will shoot. Have yet to hear of a creedmoor that won't shoot amax with h4350.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr I was wondering the same thing. With my rifle rebuild I'm working up a 180 VLD for my 7mm but was curious about the eld-x. I've shot numerous game with the 6.5 140 VLD and it's deadly all animals dropped in tracks save 1. Shots ranged from 160-475 yards. Lemme know how you like them as I plan to load test both the VLDs and ELD-x

- - - Updated - - -

175 eld-x

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well two deer have died from the eldx one at about 120 my kid shot the doe I killedy buck at 150 both dead. Performance was like the amax. I have seen the 162 eldx strike like a lightning bolt this year. That 175 should be nasty for along ways.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was skeptical on match grade bullets for hunting purposes. I will have a hard time going away from the Berger VLDs . Animals drop in their tracks. Any match grade bullet high shoulder= game over. The eld-x claim better performance at shorter or traditional hunting ranges ( sub 400) which is 90% of my shots anyhow.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Hunter in 270 win, 243win, and 22-250/75gn A-max. Lot to lot variability is nil. I don't have any good cold weather chrono data though. Load them all on a 550. Accuracy seems best as one approaches max load. Pretty much always used Win large rifle (non mag) primers as that's what I've got a good store of.

What twist barrel on your 22-250? I picked up a box of the 75 amax thinking they would work on my ar-15, but in in order to seat them deep enough to fit my mags it just doesn't work. I was thinking about trying them in my 22-250 but it shoots 55 varmageddons so well and I haven't been able to find much as far as good results go on the web for the combination of the 75 and 22/250.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
1:8 twist is needed for the 75s. I love shooting the 75s but they splash something fierce when they hit bone. I hope Hornady makes the eld x in the 75 grain.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67