Selling a deer head

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a booth at the antique mall in Fargo and I was helping my wife load up a few things and she was going to sell a buck head. Not mounted, just bare bone skull with a 4x4 that looked like it might of been cleaned with bugs because it was nice and clean. Anyway I told her it is against the law without a tag and she said she bought it at a sale so she didn't believe me , I'm not so sure that I was right but its not worth the hassle if its against the law . I know this has been hashed out but I don't recall the verdict .

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say you're both right. This is retarded and unenforceable IMO.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
So If we are both right I take it the law reads that it is not legal ? There's no guarantee that it is unenforceable.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
...and how old it is. This didn't come into effect until '07?...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
So it is against the law, That answers my question. Not worth the hassle , It will look just as good in my rock garden as someone elses.

- - - Updated - - -

She bought in within the last couple of years and has a receipt but two wrongs don't make a right.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
How old was the skull when she bought it?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How old was the skull when she bought it?

No idea , I think I know what your getting at but I'm guessing the Burdon of proof would be on the seller. Probably wouldn't ever get charged but this is a pretty high traffic area so you never know who will walk through that door. Not going to sell it regardless if it's a BS law or not.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah. Not worth the potential BS. I surmise this was the intent of this law: Chinese men would probably do the world a service with less erections. Anyway's, it's still another example of the effing govt stamping out personal profit.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call game and fish they will most likley give you a tag.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just call your warden and he will give you a tag. We did it a few times when we found decent dead bucks while hunting.
Also have tons of older ones from all my years of hunting and finding them. None of these have tags on. I think it is a b.s. law for sure but can understand what they are trying to do but it wouldn't work most of the time anyways.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about out of state head? Dumb law.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think Monday morning at 9:00 AM sharp everyone with a deer head should contact NDGF for a tag and not let up till everyone has theirs in hand.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have any old tag soup stock? I used to have three. No idea now.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I just create a black market?

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you do DON'T CALL A WARDEN! Pricks will take it from you and say it belongs to the state because all deer are property of the state. I learned that the hard way last year. Had a nice skull taken from me because I tried to do the right thing and called the warden to get a tag. I even showed him where I found it, he scanned the area with a metal detector and found no bullet or anything. I had pictures of this deer for two years and hunted him the year prior with no luck. I have no faith in our game and fish department anymore and I'd bet money if you were to walk into the garage at the wardens house it's probably hanging on the wall...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have any old tag soup stock? I used to have three. No idea now.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I just create a black market?[/QUOTE]

I hope not, Imagine if everyone that has an old buck head without a tag was inclined to put in for a tag from a family member so it is legal to have in their possession, That would include almost everyone on this site.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess it all depends on which laws one's willing to bend.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to have an 02, 05 and 07 laying around. Never considered them to have any value. THIS is why I'm sort of a hoarder.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't sell them anyways. They'd be for that head I found turkey hunting.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would that technically be considered mounted? If not it no longer needs a tag even if shot last year. Where they draw the line on mounted is the real question. Is it just true mounts only or true mounts and euros.....what about just sawed off ones? Either way anything less then mounted is long clear of the tagging requirements for last year's deer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 73