Beef Jerkey

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the warm weather I'm in no hurry to tag out but Its jerky season and I have a craving so I figured I'd improvise but there was a shortage on roast so I Picked up 5 pounds of lean ground instead but it doesn't look very lean , Has anyone made jerky from hamburger and did it work out ok ?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done it a couple times it's always a little greasy. I don't like it cause it don't have the chew factor of whole muscle.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe you should mix it with ground pork and sausage seasonings then can it. Then get a few london broils. You can also make delicious sandwiches when this stuff is grilled or fried.

- - - Updated - - -

th

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes. It's good. Just buy the mix on the shelf and follow the directions. The lean stuff will not be greasy. If it is, just wipe with a paper towel.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made jerky out of ground beef many times. Dab with paper towel while drying to get off any grease. Works just fine.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes. It's good. Just buy the mix on the shelf and follow the directions. The lean stuff will not be greasy. If it is, just wipe with a paper towel.

...and save for a fire starter.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the grill, this is what i call a cowboy burger; hamburger and ground country style sausage. 50:50

I believe you should mix it with ground pork and sausage seasonings then can it. Then get a few london broils. You can also make delicious sandwiches when this stuff is grilled or fried.

- - - Updated - - -

th

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I buy the lean hamburger in 1 lb. packages at Walmart, the more you mix it the tuffer it gets, when done put on paper towels, turn a few times and your good to go, also go buy a jerky gun

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buying more guns is never the solution. It's about dialogue.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have made a lot of beef jerky from lean ground beef. Paper towels on bottom, layer of finished jerky, layer of paper towels and so on. Put a cookie sheet on top and weigh it down. Let set for a few hours and all the grease will be in the towels, use lots of towels.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made a lot of beef jerky from lean ground beef. Paper towels on bottom, layer of finished jerky, layer of paper towels and so on. Put a cookie sheet on top and weigh it down. Let set for a few hours and all the grease will be in the towels, use lots of towels.
Yep what he said, I have been making a fair amount of beef jerky from 90/10 ground beef from sam's club. Get a jerky gun, also most recipes or seasoning packages call for 5lbs of meat I usually go 4-4.5 lbs. I like ground meat jerky shot into strips of sticks better than whole muscle. The fat is what will go rancid with jerky so if you keep in fridge after it is made you should be just fine.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Good jerky making weather, I used your trick and it worked like a charm. I made a few small batches experimenting with beef and venison, ground Turkey and beef /turkey mix , Even threw a little pork in a couple batches, It all made jerky but hands down I like the flavor, texture and toughness of pure ground beef the best. I made fish jerky many years ago and It turned out shredded so was like taking a pinch of chew , thinking of pulling a couple slabs of Northern out of the freezer and trying that next.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here is something with a twist.. I dry the jerky strips real dry and then break up and run them through a coffee bean grinder. comes out like skol. put a pinch in a see how long it lasts. Great for us toothless old farts.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I use the Nesco brand jerky mix from fleet farm, mix up a batch and let set in fridge for 24 hrs, Run through a jerky cannon with the half inch round tube and put on jerky screen on a cookie sheet with tin foil to catch any drippings. Bake at 300 for about 45 min or until what ever dryness you want. Comes out like a slim jim with wrinkles. Add crushed red pepper if you want more heat. Always make about 3 lbs of this for Christmas munches and have never brought any home.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes 100% on Nesco mix. Sprinkle with mixed hot peppers or what ever else you like. I added cure salt to a couple batches, Ishta.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Below you will find the recipe for the greatest ground beef, beef jerky you've ever had. This is meant to be used with a jerky gun and a dehydrator.

Take 5 pounds of 90% lean beef and roll it out on your counter top so it's fairly thin (1/4" or so but not more than 1/2"). Add spices as evenly as possible, and when your done start kneading and squishing with your hands and fingers until everything is mixed thoroughly.

This will make about 5 trays worth of jerky. Takes around 8-10 hours of dehydrating.

1. 8 tsp pickling salt
2. 1/4 tsp cayenne
3. 1 tsp marjoram
4. 2 tsp garlic powder
5. 1 1/2 tsp tender quick
6. 4 tsp black pepper
7. 1 1/2 tsp cardamon
8. 3 tsp Accent
9. 1 oz liquid smoke into 1 oz water

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Below you will find the recipe for the greatest ground beef, beef jerky you've ever had. This is meant to be used with a jerky gun and a dehydrator.

Take 5 pounds of 90% lean beef and roll it out on your counter top so it's fairly thin (1/4" or so but not more than 1/2"). Add spices as evenly as possible, and when your done start kneading and squishing with your hands and fingers until everything is mixed thoroughly.

This will make about 5 trays worth of jerky. Takes around 8-10 hours of dehydrating.

1. 8 tsp pickling salt
2. 1/4 tsp cayenne
3. 1 tsp marjoram
4. 2 tsp garlic powder
5. 1 1/2 tsp tender quick
6. 4 tsp black pepper
7. 1 1/2 tsp cardamon
8. 3 tsp Accent
9. 1 oz liquid smoke into 1 oz water

Can water softener salt be used as a substitute for pickling salt?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69