perch with an inflated swim bladder from deep ice

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any good ways that work to get perch to recover from ruptured air blatter?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have heard of dropping fish on its side with a little force to shock it back. Has to hit ice/floor right on its side.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
thought I read somewhere some people using a schringe needle to deflate?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have actually tried it a few times and seems to work. One of my buddies learned it from a guide on lake of the woods. Since then we haven't really been fishing deep enough to have that problem so its been a few years. I assume it works cause we have had a couple that couldn't swim down the hole then pulled them out let them hit the floor and release again to see them dart back to the bottom on the flashers. Worked on small walleye and sauger as well.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably similar concept of getting pissed because something doesn't quite fit back together or work quite right. Hit/kick/throw/swear at said item until it either works again or is completely jacked up.

how would the floor smack thing work?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's why I want to find out some techniques to help save some fish, I usually don't fish in any water over 30 feet for that reason. Just looking for ideas

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I here what you are saying dirty that's the technique I use, but sometimes perch bites are sporadic and the schools are moving it would be nice to be able to bring them up a little faster so I can get my bait down the hole again.
Thanks for input Dirtymike

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I'm fishing deeper water and catching quite a few smaller ones I have a rod that just has a depth finder weight tied to the line. I'll use the clip and clip it on the fishes front fin. I'll let them down and once down a good ways I'll give the line a jerk and the clip will release from the fin. Seems to work as I always see the fish on the Vexilar swimming it's way back down. I've found it way better than having my hole full of little perch that won't go down.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I'm fishing deeper water and catching quite a few smaller ones I have a rod that just has a depth finder weight tied to the line. I'll use the clip and clip it on the fishes front fin. I'll let them down and once down a good ways I'll give the line a jerk and the clip will release from the fin. Seems to work as I always see the fish on the Vexilar swimming it's way back down. I've found it way better than having my hole full of little perch that won't go down.

With all the stuff I have read on barotrauma, this appears to be the most effective. Fizzing can work, but hitting other organs with the needle can be an issue. The key is to get them back down rather quickly.

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/newsletter/2013/05/let_em_down_easy_returning_a_fish_to_deep_water.html

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77