Bradley Electric Smoker

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been shopping for an electric smoker for a while. We've got a large propane smokehouse for when we do large quantities of sausage and jerky. Saw in the recent cabelas add that they have them for 200 bucks off starting on the 10th, looks like they'd be nice for smaller jerky batches, small batches of ribs, wings, etc. Any experience with them or other brands that may be better?

ffjr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bradley smoker and its worked great for me. I use mine in the winter inside may garage and vent the smoke out the window, otherwise if its not inside its hard to keep the heat in it.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the 30" masterbuilt electric. I had also considered the bradley but for whatever reason I decided on the masterbuilt. The bbq pros will look down on us electric guys but damn this thing is convenient. I bought the amaze-n-smoker (http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm) to use for longer smokes so I don't need to keep adding chips. I had read that if the bradley pucks aren't kept sealed they can take on moisture and expand and will no longer feed through the machine.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Bradley, it's super easy to use, works as advertised, but heats terrible in cold/windy weather.
I like it, use it a ton, but have had to use different methods depending on weather to keep the temp consistent.

Guywhofishes s the expert on these Bradley smokers. In cold windy weather they need advanced methods.

I keep mine in a heated garage, warm it to the cooking temp, then start the smoker part, then wheel it to the wind protected side in the winter months.
My previous house I had a garden shed that I modified with exhaust fans to keep the heat in and wind off, worked awesome, but I moved and have yet to create a Bradley smoker shed experience...haha

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a bradley loved it when it worked. Still like it after I got an amazen smoker for it. Mine quit feeding the pucks automatically after about a year or two. And like johnr said it sucks in cold weather especially if you have to open the door, getting it back up to temp. A masterbuilt with the amazen smoker might be a better or just as good of an option and probably will save you some money.

Also what type of larger propane smoker do you have I am in the opposite position of you have the bradley and a pellet smoker, but am looking for a larger smoker for doing at least 50lbs of sausage.

- - - Updated - - -

Or if you want to spend more money for higher quality more insulation in an electric smoker look at a smokin tex or cookshack

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my Bradley, but it's a warm weather smoker, unless you right it up like guy did.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our large smoker was home made, dad and a friend built it on a trailer. Works awesome for large batches of jerky and sausage, just overkill for quick smaller things a guy wants to do in a day. I also have one of those little cabelas smokers that sits on a propane burner, which works good if the conditions are right, however pain in the ass to keep constant temp.

I've looked at the masterbuilt ones as well, the sale on the bradleys caught my eye though.

I had a bradley loved it when it worked. Still like it after I got an amazen smoker for it. Mine quit feeding the pucks automatically after about a year or two. And like johnr said it sucks in cold weather especially if you have to open the door, getting it back up to temp. A masterbuilt with the amazen smoker might be a better or just as good of an option and probably will save you some money.

Also what type of larger propane smoker do you have I am in the opposite position of you have the bradley and a pellet smoker, but am looking for a larger smoker for doing at least 50lbs of sausage.

- - - Updated - - -

Or if you want to spend more money for higher quality more insulation in an electric smoker look at a smokin tex or cookshack

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
been using my 4 rack Bradley for 4 years,from waterfowl to salmon to jerky it never missed a beat,never had an issue with the pucks swelling either.I also use a couple weber kettle grills for summer bbq's,something about the smoke from charcoal and fruit wood that brings the neighbors out,the Bradley smoke is clean with zero residue like ya get with charcoal and propane.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what the sale price is but if the bradley and masterbuilt are similar priced I would probably go with the bradley just for the convenience, that I once had. But getting the pellets lit in an amazen smoke is fairly easy to do also. When my puck feeder worked I bought apple and hickory pucks in the largest boxes I could find and just kept them in a large ziploc bag never had a problem with them and moisture. Although a bag of pellets for the amazen smoker is cheaper than buying pucks.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
eye,its hard to beat the digital electric smokers,money well spent,not sure about price on the master built even tho I looked at them before I bought the Bradley but amazon had the best deal goin price wise for Bradley digital.

itemB,amazon has just the smoker unit online if needed,I'm sure you checked the feeder but sometimes a chunk of burnt wood will stick the feeder ramp,easy fix with a knife.

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many lbs of pepper sticks or sausage is everyone getting in the bradley smokers? say the original or 4 rack one

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I checked the feeder only goes half way back, but will work fine every third puck or so. I tried resetting the programming didn't work don't know if I did it right either but with the Amazen smoker works great and is almost as easy so I just quit messing about with it

I have the 4 rack and cut some dowels to hang the sausage from 10lbs is the most I can fit. That's why I have been looking for something bigger

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep - 4 rack OBS is way too small.

10 lb of whole muscle venison jerky

2016-11-06 10.03.42-1.jpg

I bought a bunch of skewers from Scheels Hardware dirt cheap and custom bent them to fit.

2016-11-06 08.19.02.jpg

the goofy shapes on both ends fit the shelf holders and keep meat from slipping off if I tilt/drop

skewers make good system - hated cleaning trays/racks

move from skewers to trays for better controlled final drying stage with dehydrator

2016-11-06 17.02.52.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ha ha - once NDA site decides to do the attachment thing a guy is screwed making edits - meh - laters!

Attachments

2016-11-06 08.49.14.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
#guythatthinkstomuchmakingjerky...seems like a lot of work for jerky,curious if you fill the puck tray with water when smoking jerky?some folk like the dryer jerky(no water),I like the moist jerky you get when smoking jerky with a full puck tray myself

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a large smoker on a trailer for big projects but I would like something smaller for occasional use.

Concerning the Bradley's size and ability to hold temp best in the winter, does the 4 and 6 rack have the same power heating element? For $100 more it makes sense to buy the 6 rack over the 4, but I don't want to have troubles keeping it to temp in the winter.

so what say you......4 or 6 rack, or something completely different.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 6 rack smoker with the digital controls. For those of you that have the insulated blanket for this smoker, where did you find/buy them? Thanks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75