First Aid Kit/Field Tools

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Prior thread had a reminder of a first aid kit prepped for your hunting partner..

Just curious on what your first aid kit consists of and whether you carry any field tools with you??
My first aid kit currently consists of gauze, co-band, saline rinse, triple antibiotic, iodine, scissors, surgical glue, Q-tips and rubber gloves - Any recommendations on what else I should add?

Also worth mentioning - I was hunting on some land last year and the landowner mentioned to me that the neighboring landowner forgot a single snare out in the field, that landowner let some other guys hunt his land and one dog happened to get caught in it and by the time the owner got there it was too late.. The thought has worried me ever since so I always carry a pair of pliers (Porcupines) and set of Wire shears (snares) in my vest.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Small packet of Quick Clot in my pack. Also a skin stapler, suture kit, and small scalpel available in the horse/cow section of most farm/ranch supply stores. Sutures/staples kept in my truck for the dogs (not me or other humans), scalpel for caping out critter heads in my pack.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thought has worried me ever since so I always carry a pair of pliers (Porcupines) and set of Wire shears (snares) in my vest.

THIS!! I was glad I had my leatherman with me when my dog found a porky earlier this fall. Also, a pair of short nosed cable cutters for any snare that your best friend may get himself or herself caught in. Another must have for me is a squeeze bottle of water with a little Gatorade in it. Sometimes you never know how long your walk about will be so its important to have some water available for the dog, especially in warm temps.
Along with the other items you guys have listed, these are my 3 must haves when heading out in the field.

Tom Schauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My chocolate lab has gotten into two porcupines. Yes, a need nose pliers is really nice to have. The first time I thought he was chewing on a sparrow and he had sparrow wing feathers in his mouth. Nope, it was quills. I did not have a pliers, so it took two of us (that is all there was) to hold him down and get the quills out the best we could. I couldn't get them all out till we got home.

Another time, he jumped over a barbed wire fence and torn his hide bad. So super glue is also a nice thing to have.

My buddy swears by DMSO for his dogs. He says that horses will get caught in a barbed wire fence and tear their legs to shreds. I guess DMSO helps a lot and they call it "new skin".

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Locking forceps or needle drivers work better than needle-nosed pliers for porky quills.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67