Boat layout choices

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been considering a move to a slightly smaller aluminum boat from my 1850 reata since I seem to be doing more river fishing and on smaller lakes with less than ideal ramps in NE SD. I love the ranger for rough days on Sak but anymore with a full freezer we don't go out in really rough stuff. I am thinking a 17-18' Lund pro v style boat would be great to fish out of compared to the large consoles and windshield on the ranger. Does anyone regret going to a dual console with bubble windshields or even a side console? I'm thinking a dual console would keep the wife happier but after fishing out of a side console crestliner I loved the room that was available.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had the bubbles both single and dual. I will say that I loved it for the room. When I was in my 20s and bought those boats they were for speed and space with the money I had. Now that I am in my 40s and not as willing to go out no matter what. Now that I don't like to get wet I give up the room for the windshield to stay out of the wind and water. Some call it being a pansy but I call it maturity.

With all that said I run a single center console on the river and for guiding. Very cold this time of year but for what I do it is the only way to go on the river.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or get a tiller and then if there's a hint of wind or rain, you get to go by yourself.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ran tillers most of my life and love the room. They do get a little chilly in the wrong conditions. That being said, I did own a Lund 1800 ProV with the bubbles and loved that boat. Excellent fishing platform. I have also ran a Ranger 1860 Angler with the bubbles. I do like them for fishing, but they provide little to no protection from spray.
I think going from your 1850 to a 18" Lund isn't going to get you what you are looking for. The ProV isn't going to be any smaller or do what you are looking for. Maybe going to the 17" Lund would.
The ProVs are heavy and well built, so I don't think you are going to gain a whole lot as far as weight.
I am pretty sure the bubbles from an 1860 Angler would fit on your boat if you are interested in converting the boat you have.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Slightly smaller" isn't going to get you much in the ease of loading and unloading dept on those small lakes with marginal ramps. You will have to go quite a bit smaller and lighter.

I've had a 16.5 ft Alumacraft beer can pushed by a 25 horse tiller that was loadable in a road ditch (Stump from years ago), a 16 ft Smokercraft side console with a 75 HP on a beautifully setup roller trailer that could also get dumped off in a road ditch. And now I run a 17.5 ft Lund Fisherman with full windshield and heavy. So the overall size of the boats I've run hasn't changed nearly as much as the weight. I'd be hard pressed to be able to easily load the Lund under some of the conditions I've done with the other boats.

You didn't mention this as an option, but is picking up an inexpensive little tiller for those small lakes an option to keep the Reata around for bigger water?

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have considered picking up a second boat but that is also quite the hassle storing and taking care of. I will have to check some weights on boats, I didn't consider that a 17.5' aluminum boat would come even close to the reata which is seems damn heavy. I had a double bubble windshield on a ranger 620 before and it was way nicer to fish out of but the bubbles were about 6" tall so they provided absolutely no cover from wind/splash. The 1850 reata may not be a huge boat but it definitely has some weight and is tough to maneuver around docks/trees and I definitely don't beach it if there might be rocks so I can't bring it to many smaller lakes.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Slightly smaller" isn't going to get you much in the ease of loading and unloading dept on those small lakes with marginal ramps. You will have to go quite a bit smaller and lighter.

I've had a 16.5 ft Alumacraft beer can pushed by a 25 horse tiller that was loadable in a road ditch (Stump from years ago), a 16 ft Smokercraft side console with a 75 HP on a beautifully setup roller trailer that could also get dumped off in a road ditch. And now I run a 17.5 ft Lund Fisherman with full windshield and heavy. So the overall size of the boats I've run hasn't changed nearly as much as the weight. I'd be hard pressed to be able to easily load the Lund under some of the conditions I've done with the other boats.

You didn't mention this as an option, but is picking up an inexpensive little tiller for those small lakes an option to keep the Reata around for bigger water?[/QUOTE]

This!! Unless you are bound and determined to ditch the larger boat, you probably can find a 14-16ft boat with 15-25horse motor in that $1000-$1500 range for your small lake travels and keep what you have. Don't have to store inside..take the motor off..store in the garage, tip the boat upside down in the yard for the winter. Win win

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69