Weird deer

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy and I were talking about some of the weird deer we have got and or saw. For instance I shot a whitetail buck two years ago that an eye gouged out and no front teath. Buddy got a hermi witch was a doe that had large antlers although it never sed the velvet. Any of you guys have any weird pic or stories. This is toothless who was 75 pounds under weight and half blind as his eye roted away but was still locked onto a doe.

IMG_20150119_103543985.jpg

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got a young buck second weekend of season that had bottom jaw and part of his licker shot off. Every thing was scabbed over and he had food in his belly. This was 20 years ago.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20151121_100409148[1].jpgIMG_20151121_100414785[1].jpg
I think his eyelid rubbing on it when he was in velvet was the only thing that kept the tine from growing into his eyeball

Hornhunter

Banned
Banned
Now that's a weird deer. I don't c what's weird about Dean's deer except the facemask hes wearing in his pic.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad said he shot a buck and when he rolled it over to gut it out there was little tits instead of a pecker, A doe with a rack. Anyone else heard of that ?

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a fawn and an adult deer running down the ditch in front of me in June, the adult had hard antlers (not in velvet) I believe it was a doe with antlers nice little basket rack

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot a muley/WT cross.

I should have done a better job of photo documenting it when I had the chance. It had a WT 5x5 main frame, with muley length browtines and forked G2s (uniform and about 4 inches worth). It also had the forehead patch and the smallest WT tail you've ever seen. Actually, it was a muley sized WT tail with no butt patch of white. It took several minutes for me to figure out if I could shoot the darn thing without getting flak from a GW if queried.

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 2001 or so my sister in law shot one with a cow tag in its ear north of Lamoure

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 2001 or so my sister in law shot one with a cow tag in its ear north of Lamoure

I've always joked I was going to catch a fawn and tag it but never have.

Do you think that was a wild deer or an escape from a game farm?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be a long walk but it might have been from Dawson. they ran a research project out of there for years and may well still be doing it. many got tagged with one plastic tag and a metal one in the other ear and a fair few got radio collars. they gave me a map of where the deer went when I called them when I got one of their deer. it was pretty amazing how far some of that herd moved each spring and fall.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be a long walk but it might have been from Dawson. they ran a research project out of there for years and may well still be doing it. many got tagged with one plastic tag and a metal one in the other ear and a fair few got radio collars. they gave me a map of where the deer went when I called them when I got one of their deer. it was pretty amazing how far some of that herd moved each spring and fall.

Got my first deer on that game refuge south of Dawson in 1971. Game and Fish had a check station at the west entrance along Hwy. 3 and they would watch the whole refuge from a high hill in the middle of the refuge. If you shot a deer you just waved your vest until the biologist on the hill spotted you and he would come pick you up and haul you and your deer to the check station where they would take all their measurements and samples then they would clean and hang your deer for you. Didn't even have to get my hands dirty. I spent most of the day sitting on the hill with the biologist listening to stories about the stupid hunters he had encountered in the refuge. Some of the stories were pretty funny but some were also pretty scary. The refuge was an old state buffalo reserve and was 6 sections 2 miles by 3 miles and at 1 second after 12 noon it sounded like a scene from Saving Private Ryan. Vehicles were lined up all around the refuge on the section lines and when the shooting started and deer started running out of the refuge it reminded me of the Mad Max movie when all the Hummungous characters jumped in their dune buggies and took after Max. Wild!

Last edited:

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right away we thought someones pet deer got away and didn't really think much about it. A couple years later I mentioned it on fishingbuddy in a similar thread and a guy from Game and Fish contacted me almost immediately. He wanted to know the details like location, size, date and I can't remember what else. We had taken some pictures of it, but since it wasn't very big and it was before the days of cell phone pics I didn't have much luck tracking them down. (Which is really disgusting since it was her first deer). My cousin, who was also there, was able to remember the number on the tag and that seemed to be good enough I guess. I also remember the meat being a more pale shade of red than the other deer we shot that day.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad said he shot a buck and when he rolled it over to gut it out there was little tits instead of a pecker, A doe with a rack. Anyone else heard of that ?

Mid 80's my brother shot one. Still had milk in mid November. Single crooked antler about sixteen inches long still in velvet.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member

I know the guy who put the tag in the ear and it had a Orange collar for a few months. I use to drive by the farm and the Deer would follow the guys German Shepard. They were quite a pair.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my first deer on that game refuge south of Dawson in 1971. Game and Fish had a check station at the west entrance along Hwy. 3 and they would watch the whole refuge from a high hill in the middle of the refuge. If you shot a deer you just waved your vest until the biologist on the hill spotted you and he would come pick you up and haul you and your deer to the check station where they would take all their measurements and samples then they would clean and hang your deer for you. Didn't even have to get my hands dirty. I spent most of the day sitting on the hill with the biologist listening to stories about the stupid hunters he had encountered in the refuge. Some of the stories were pretty funny but some were also pretty scary. The refuge was an old state buffalo reserve and was 6 sections 2 miles by 3 miles and at 1 second after 12 noon it sounded like a scene from Saving Private Ryan. Vehicles were lined up all around the refuge on the section lines and when the shooting started and deer started running out of the refuge it reminded me of the Mad Max movie when all the Hummungous characters jumped in their dune buggies and took after Max. Wild!
Yeah used to hunt it allot back when the game and fish did professional level baiting in there. They had three baiting stations each with a pair of gravity boxes the size of a full size van and generally a half a dozen bales spread around the boxes. Wasn't uncommon in a good winter to have a few hundred deer come in at once and was cool to watch as the came pouring out of the sandhills. Guess it was near an old lake bed and all the wind drifted sand formed dunes and eventually got covered in grass and buck brush. Was always fun to hide on one side of the box and when a doe would come in to see if you could peak around just enough to get an arrow into her without moving far enough out for her to see. The extra doe tags made it allot of fun but they shut down baiting and the numbers dropped way off. The first time my buddy took me there i couldn't believe it was legal to hunt there it was like being in a refuge.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
1391428_10100741486387425_2135291606_n.jpg

brother shot this goofy looking guy a couple years back, we had been watching him for a couple days before season and at noon on opener we knew right where he was and went in after him, season was over by 12:15

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80