new arrow setup was a flop... missed an old buck

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
well last week when I was sitting in my blind I missed a buck by inches... shot right under him... initially I thought I miss ranged him... so I went home and did some shooting and more testing with the arrow I missed with and found out that one of the blades on the broadhead was hitting the shelf of my bow :( which was causing the arrow to drop 8-12 inches...

I was using the ramcat 125g broadheads so it is a semi hybrid mechanical... but I had also shortened my arrows too much so the whole broadhead was inside of the shelf... my current fix is going back to grim reaper mechanicals... lesson learned

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
no i had flung them... just not a lot because i hadn't gotten a good block to shoot them into so I really hadn't shot enough of them... they were blowing through my glendel buck at 30 yards so I stopped that and got a reinhart block... the 2 I was practicing with were flying right but the 3rd one I had (which I was saving the sharpness on for a deer) was clocked different than the other 2 and thats why it was hitting the shelf of my bow as opposed to the other 2 not doing that when I was practicing but they were coming very close to hitting so I am just ditching that broadhead and going with the reapers which I know will do the job and not cause a problem

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every broad head I shoot at a deer goes through a target first. I've had a few right out of the package that did not fly good.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
G5 Montec's for this guy. Shoot, Sharpen, and Sling at a deer. Bought a 3 pack of broadheads and all three have killed a deer. I like them heads. 'Course I don't shoot over 30 yds either.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
no i had flung them... just not a lot because i hadn't gotten a good block to shoot them into so I really hadn't shot enough of them... they were blowing through my glendel buck at 30 yards so I stopped that and got a reinhart block... the 2 I was practicing with were flying right but the 3rd one I had (which I was saving the sharpness on for a deer) was clocked different than the other 2 and thats why it was hitting the shelf of my bow as opposed to the other 2 not doing that when I was practicing but they were coming very close to hitting so I am just ditching that broadhead and going with the reapers which I know will do the job and not cause a problem
i gotcha ya i dont shoot my broadheads that i fling at deer into the target either as i shoot mechanicals im shooting those NAP killzones and they have been the cats rear end for me! but im not a person that says mechanicals over fixed either, whatever shoots best for you and gives you the best opportunity at harvesting a deer as quickly as possible is what everyone should be shooting not to just shoot rage because some guy on tv said too, shitty deal you got the broadhead to shoot well and then with the same set up on a different arrow have it be that far off especially right when it matters most!

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's one thing I like about going traditional with a Kota recurve and wood arrows. No excuses like I must have bumped my pin, my fancy mechanical failed me, I used the wrong pin to shoot off of, and the likes. When you miss you just scream F#*K!!!! And then go practice some more.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
TBH I failed myself by not thinking about the size of the blades... I used grim reapers last year (100 grain) but this year my goal with my arrows was penetration which the ram cats definitely have... I will probably try them again once I get arrows again and cut them 3/4" longer... so we will see if I get the penetration with the 125g reapers (also have 50g behind the insert)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69