what do you use for bite indecator on windy days???

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I usually fish off bottom from shore, I put a shotgun shell on the end of my rod, when fish strike, it pops off the rod. but on windy days like today and yesterday, its doesn't work so well, if if I have the rode pointing into the wind, wind usually still manages to pop the shell of the rod. What is everyone else using?

So, far still no fish in my freezer in my 3 outings.....

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not much for the bait and wait game, so windy or not, I'm usually chunkin' a jig. If I let the jig sit on the bottom for a bit, I'll use my index finger on the line to feel bites. I've seen to many rods disappear into the muddy depths of ND waters to set my rods down. Replacing custom rods built by an artist that has passed away is a bit ticklish to accomplish.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went Gator gar fishing in Texas last April.. great time..lots of big fish...got introduced to European Carp fishing electronic bite indicators...would work great for Northern and walleye shore fishing..http://www.bigcarptackle.com/delkim-plus-tx-i-series-alarms-receiver

- - - Updated - - -

If you use a bait feeder spinning reel even the biggest Northern won't pull your rod in, forgot to post.. 125lb alligator gar resting on Carp bite indicator in the mud didn't pull the rod out..Oh yeah it was windy every day on the Trinity River..

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry not in focus but here is the bite indicator set in the mud.. image.jpgimage.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer to long line suckers on the mn opener with my bail opened and my finger on the line.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
when fishing from shore we used to put the big (3"?) bobbers between the last 2 eyes on the rod with the steel u 180* from the hole it is designed to go into for setting depth...

on windy days, would let out enough line to bring the bobber right to the ground in the slack line with the rod sitting bout 45*... when you get a bite and have to set the hook and reel in, the bobber is loose on the line, and doesn't have to be messed with...

Good luck!!!

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice out northerns I buy really cheap bobbers. I cast out and put rod in holder. Leaving bail open I'll clip the bobber onto the line and leave it next to the water line. When a pike takes the bait your bobber will be pulled into the water. Easy to see and keep track of. I usually double up the line so when I set the hook the bobber pops right off. Bobber flats back to shore. Works great for me

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I use the lighted bobbers every summer on Leech, Its Mama's favorite way of walleye fishing, Anchor the boat on a good walleye flat. Put a leech 6-10" off the bottom near sunset on a nice evening, start the portable grill on the boat have a couple cocktails watch the sun go down, turn on the lights on the bobber when you can't see them anymore.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I leave the bail open and slip a short piece of punky weed stalk on the line near the rod tip . When it's time to set the hook you don't need to worry about getting a bobber out of the way , just play the fish . The weed stalk will either fall off on it's own or you can reel right thru it .

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you happen to ice fish and own a set of Strike Sensor units you can also use them in the summertime. Just clip the very tip onto the line down near the reel. When a fish bites and takes some line the shunt pulls out of the transmitter and your beeper goes off. When the alligator clip bumps into the eyelets on the rod it too falls off right at your feet. A great windy-day tool.

When it's not so windy I've used bells, shotgun shells, and upside down bobbers hanging loose from between two rod guides.

Chefwayne33

A beer or soda cab with a little water in it, put line around tab, leave bail open, fish hits, can tips, and your set. I also use bells

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I clip a french fry bobber tomy line and put a little rock on it on the shore and leave my spool or bail open. When a fish hits, the french fry gets drug out into the water.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clothes pins work better then anything I've tried. Even if they don't pop off when setting the hook (most times they do); they're easy to pull off.

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old prescription bottle with a little hook screwed in the top. You can add or remove sand or rocks depending on how windy it is. Paint them a bright color though because if they don't pop off when you pick the rod up they sometimes fly a little ways when you set the hook.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely invest in a bait clicker. Okuma makes some pretty decent spinning reel bait clickers that won't break the bank. I have their smallest version on my ice fishing dead stick rod and it's sweet as hell. A size up would make the PERFECT bank fishing setup for the sit and soak method.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A small piece of Styrofoam a little off rod tip and leave bail open. Styrofoam pops off when you reel in. I have used the shotgun shell method if I remember to bring some.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always used to use just a small to medium size red and white old style bobber. Just attach one end of bobber on line. Have lots of slack so line droops down a bit. If you see bobber rising up it is a fish. Only down side..you have to quick pop bobber off before reeling.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76