Remington 700 Light Primer Strikes?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone give me some input here- have a Remington 700 that is all of a sudden striking primers light. It is inconsistent but enough to cause the gun not to fire on occasion....not a good thing. Gun and bolt looks clean and has been taken care of. My first thought is dirty firing pin/hole but it seems unlikely. Firing pin mark looks normal so I don't think the tip is chipped or broken. The light hits will occur with reloads and factory loads so it is not a primer seating depth issue. What are your thoughts?

I haven't Youtube'd 700 bolt diasassembly but I believer I have heard you need a tool to do it. Is that the case? I think someone once said you can do it with a shoelace but I am curious.

Sure screws up a deer hunt, that is for sure.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
inside of bolt needs to be cleaned. there is a tool for easy disassembly

- - - Updated - - -

sdmf greases the threads too before re-assembling, so I'd do that too

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
inside of bolt needs to be cleaned. there is a tool for easy disassembly

- - - Updated - - -

sdmf greases the threads too before re-assembling, so I'd do that too

Paging SDMF.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
disassemble and clean the bolt as mentioned. Although convenient, you don't need a tool, you can use a boot lace. There should be a YouTube video out there to show how. Problem solved.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
$30, Sinclair Bolt Disassembly tool.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-par...in-removal-tool-for-remingtons-prod35019.aspx

Carbon buildup combined with condensation and/or cold weather slows the firing pin and creates the "Click......no-boom" situation. The above tool makes Rem bolt disassembly about a 15second affair. Clean the spring/pin, spray out the body with gun scrubber and/or carbon blast. Long Q-tips to get most of the solvent out of the bolt body. Compressed air to dry out the rest. Quick shot of your favorite synthetic lube that stays slick below freezing.

Don't get the other tool with the cam-over lever, it sucks balls compared to the above. WELL worth the extra $10.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never greased the threads. I remove the factory packing grease off the firing pin spring too. I'd antisieze (which I don't believe is necessary) before greasing the threads.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never greased the threads. I remove the factory packing grease off the firing pin spring too. I'd antisieze (which I don't believe is necessary) before greasing the threads.

Grease on the threads stops dust/condensation from entering the rear. Much the same as greasing the action of an O/U or SxS. It's much more about creating a seal than it is about lubrication.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a loop of 550 cord that works good for me to tear down a 700 bolt.

I mostly do stuff the hard way though

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a loop of 550 cord that works good for me to tear down a 700 bolt.

I mostly do stuff the hard way though

I've used pliers, vice grips, a vice, the edge of a workbench, and a few strikers have had a slit that allows a dime to be used to hold the striker in place. The above Sinclair tool is far better than all of those approaches and well worth the $30.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
You shooting reloads? Lots of time if the primer isn't seated all the way the firing pin will push the primer in all the way and not fire.

I have seen it happen more than once.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone notice in recent years it's 700 this and 700 that? Not saying it's fair still you never hear about 70's and 77's.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note I will not buy a Japanese Winchester. It's not right.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone give me some input here- have a Remington 700 that is all of a sudden striking primers light.
Gun and bolt looks clean and has been taken care of. My first thought is dirty firing pin/hole but it seems unlikely. Firing pin mark looks normal so I don't think the tip is chipped or broken. The light hits will occur with reloads and factory loads so it is not a primer seating depth issue. What are your thoughts?
Sure screws up a deer hunt, that is for sure.

I had a buddy of mine with the same thing on his Model 70 Win. Every thing looked clean and good to him. When we stripped the bolt it was full of crud and the spring was packed full of old grease and dirt. Once we cleaned and lightly lubed it it worked fine.

I'll bet all yours needs is a good cleaning and you'll be good to go.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Storing pin down is also good. Keep the spring stretched. With a bolt gun close an empty chamber with the trigger pulled to the rear.

With a double gun dry fire into snap caps.

- - - Updated - - -

My M-12 is stored dry fired into a snap cap. Keep the spring stretched.

Skeeter85

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you adjust the trigger to light maybe. If so you might have to tighten it back up a little.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did you adjust the trigger to light maybe. If so you might have to tighten it back up a little.

That may be a good idea for some things but it doesn't have anything to do with light primer hits. That's all inside the bolt which is usually full of dirt and old grease or once in a while a broken spring.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
off topic, but still regarding the 700. Have BDL, can't get the bolt out of receiver, even when you press the button in the trigger guard to release the hinge door. Also looking for a gunsmith, willyville don't have shit, I have a 7400 thats doesn not eject the shell out of chamber anymore, have it all tore down, except can't get the bolt out of reciever. Lets just say, that 7400 let me down big time this year. Trying to clean up the 700, then going to pimp it out.....

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try holding the trigger back with the 700.

Last edited:

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
A gunsmith who sold me a few rifles told me he always disassembled the bolts of the rifles he sold. The firing pin hole in US-made rifles is punched, not drilled. Look for a metal tab inside the bolt that drags on the firing pin. It can be removed by dropping a punch inside the bolt tube and shaking it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66