Kifaru packs

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if anyone here runs a Kifaru and what they think of it. i am going to get the hunting frame with the new reckoning bag. After using the eberlestock last year the internal frame and weight just dont cut the mustard when going back in. With next year we are planing on spiking out for a few days at a time i will be getting the seek out side cimaron and a ultra light stove to go with it. Not going to spend so much time driving and hiking and more time on the elk.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a buddy who has one. He had a Kuiu last year and while he said it was a great pack and a great value, the Kifaru is much better for heavy loads. I think he paid upwards of a grand though for it.

Also, check out the Kifaru Tut instead of the Cimmaron. He bought that as well and loves it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have looked at the tut also and the saw tooth.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a heads up. If you have any interest in the Kuiu they are going to be 30% off starting Thursday. I haven't used Kifaru but was really giving it some thought until I got 30% off on Kuiu in August. Paid $350 for the Icon Pro 7200. Had an Eberlestock J34 before that and there's no comparison between it and the Kuiu. The Kuiu isn't perfect but for the price I think it would be hard to beat.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of straps that results in a bunch of tag ends flapping around. Not sure about load shelf but I really don't like throwing meat inside the bag. I would liked to have tried A Karifu pack that was built for my size but everyone I know that has them are midgets. , However they must be very good because they have a cult following. I almost went with the seek outside backpack because their tent and stoves are SWEET but decided to go with the EXO. I think all the top end packs Kifaru, SO, EXO, Kuiu, Stone Glacier are all well built and if they fit you correctly should really haul a load. Hell resale on Rokslide is almost retail price if decide you don't like it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's why the reckoning has caught my eye real simple but has everything I want. I wore a buddies with the duplex free and dt1 bag we are about the same size threw 80 pounds in it and went for a walk it was like it was empty. I looked at exo to like you said if it is a bust I can always sell for little to no loss.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a midget (6'4 230lbs), and love my kifaru. A little strap management is key to ensuring a nice clean pack. I've had a few of them actually, and have loved every one of them. I'm currently running the UL duplex frame with an AMR, guide lid, Nalgene bottle and a few medium pockets. Whatever you do, don't go too small thinking that you'll be able to make all your gear fit. Quilts/bag, sleeping pad, food and water take up quite a bit of room. I'm going to pick up the mountain warrior for day hunts and other short trips, but the AMR will be my go-to bag for anything over 3-4 days.

The reckoning bag looks nice, but I really like the attached zippered pockets that the timberline and AMR have built-in. Make sure you add a few pockets to the bottom of the reckoning if you go that route. A medium on each side and a large on the back would keep all the little gear well organized. I didn't see any pictures of the reckoning with the guide lid on it, but I would highly recommend adding that to the pack. It's a 1200ci lid that provides plenty of storage for all the items that you need regularly.

If you come through the Bismarck/Mandan area anytime soon, hit me up and you can swing by and check it out. This was my first year running the Cimarron, and so far I have no complaints. My 12" homemade stove kept it nice and warm. It's a palace for one man with stove and gear. Two guys with a stove gets a little tight, but it's manageable.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to run a couple pouches at the bottom and then the medium pocket so if i want to strap rifle to back also going to get the gun bearer. Did you build your stove out of ti? I cant decide which way to go oval or box

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to run a couple pouches at the bottom and then the medium pocket so if i want to strap rifle to back also going to get the gun bearer. Did you build your stove out of ti? I cant decide which way to go oval or box

I built my stove out of stainless. I ordered the sheeting from ti-goat, and picked up stainless burner covers at walmart. Door parts and legs came from lowes. It's certainly not the prettiest stove on the mountain, but it works well. If I were to do it over again (which I will), I'm going to buy a better dremel to make all of the fine cuts. In my opinion, the oval stove is much easier to build, and works well for what I need.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
would you post some pics that has me interested in maybe trying to build one my self

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a pictures of the one I built, and the link to the thread on Rokslide. Read through the entire thing and it will answer most questions you may have. The first few pages are all the initial build, and the last pages are some of the new modifications that have been made since. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/diy-gear-modifications/12385-diy-stove.html?highlight=stove

stove.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot about that thread I think I have a winter Tim project

With a little planning, it should only take you a few hours to finish. You can order most of the little accessories from ti-goat. Only thing you really need to do is make the front of the stove.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the hunter duplex with carbon normal stays and wife has the ultralight duplex. I would take the small weight penalty and get the hunter duplex. Good thing is, you have time before next season to watch for them to go on sale. Keep an eye out for a black friday sale. I may be owning that new reckoning bag soon as well...

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the main draw to the Kifaru packs? I am in the same boat with looking for a new pack also. I want to go lighter than what I am currently using, but that seems tough to find. I am running a Tenzing TZ 5000 @ just over 7 lbs (7lbs 6oz). I absolutely love the pack as far as storage, thoughtfulness, and durability, but I would like to shave some poundage off on the bag part if possible. Someone correct me if I am missing something, but the lightest pack to storage space I can find is the KUIU Icon Pro 7200 @ 5lbs 13oz. All the Kifaru combinations I could put together for the equivalent storage were closer to the 7 and over pounds. Do the Kifaru packs carry a load that much better to justify the cost?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the main draw to the Kifaru packs? I am in the same boat with looking for a new pack also. I want to go lighter than what I am currently using, but that seems tough to find. I am running a Tenzing TZ 5000 @ just over 7 lbs (7lbs 6oz). I absolutely love the pack as far as storage, thoughtfulness, and durability, but I would like to shave some poundage off on the bag part if possible. Someone correct me if I am missing something, but the lightest pack to storage space I can find is the KUIU Icon Pro 7200 @ 5lbs 13oz. All the Kifaru combinations I could put together for the equivalent storage were closer to the 7 and over pounds. Do the Kifaru packs carry a load that much better to justify the cost?

The simple answer to your question is, yes. They carry a load better than any other pack I've tried. Their load carrying capabilities, coupled with their durability and outstanding craftsmanship is what makes them stand out above the rest. No different than comparing a custom rifle to a howa. It's all about the quality. If you're looking to shed pounds and aren't concerned about the quality, go with Kuiu. Not saying they make a bad pack, but they certainly don't compare to Kifaru.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't exactly say Kifaru vs Kuiu = Custom vs Howa. The Kuiu are very good especially with the new frames. Probably not as good as Kifaru but maybe closer to Custom vs. Cooper not Howa. The other pack that has a very good capacity to weight ration is the Stone Glacier Sky 7400. Weighs in at 4.75# but you're looking at more than $600 for that one as well.

dank

Yes, the Kifaru will simply be better at carrying the load than your current Tenzing (or any pack in the Tenzing/Eberle/Badlands/Alps level). I've almost never come across a Kifaru review where the user complains about the fit/finish/operation of a Kifaru pack and their resale values back up their utility. I'm not a huge fan of the Kuiu line of packs... decent enough clothes but their foray into other products has been haphazard IMO.

To me, the weight of the pack is almost negligible. I typically pack in, then drop most of my camp stuff and hunt with a "light pack" and in the pack out the weight of the animal is the biggest issue. If the difference of 1-2# in pack weight has significant impact on comfort, it's totally worth it.

I'm also not a huge fan of packs over about 5,000 ci. I find carrying more volume than that gets to be heavier than I can comfortably carry most of of the time and an overweight pack is a good way to injure yourself on steep, uneven terrain. Granted, I'm already using fairly compact, quality gear so I don't have any real "space hog" items in my pack any more. Between tents, sleeping bags, stoves, and other gear there's not much that doesn't compress down to about the size of a nalgene bottle.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

After using the eberlestock I don't care what internal frame back it is they won't carry the weight. The load lifters just can't get enough angle to keep the weight off your shoulders. The thing that drew me to kifaru is calling and talking with them and putting one on with 80 pounds in it. Kuiu makes some good stuff but the owner is a king of douche bags so I won't buy anything from him

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66