Largemouth in Cast Iron

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Squash and LM Bass deserve at a minimum the same amount of "nose to the sky" derision as any waterfowl dish.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Havent eaten bass in a good while, as for waterfowl dishes... you should learn how to cook... Just saying:;:stirthepot

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
How damn hungry do you have to be to eat a bass?

There was a time in my life when I was interested in cooking every fish I caught.

I learned quickly there was a reason we tend to gravitate toward certain fish...

Bass more than 12 inches long taste like grease-soaked mud cakes.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've eaten bass many times - big gatherings of folks in MN lakes country, guiding youth groups, camping, etc.

They're pretty much fine if you deal with the red meat but even then you are doomed to take that occasional wretched bite that has that acrid bassy flavor.

I'm just goring oxen for fun here. #$%^&>

Unless some of you guys eat them without getting rid of the lateral line. In that case you are absolutely loco.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get people want to dabble in trying something taboo, but walleye really aren't that hard to catch if you're not picky. Hell, northern taste pretty good out of cold water as well. I'd rather deal with Y bones than make sure every piece of red meat is off a filet. Call me a walleye snob, I don't even care, but I'll thaw out 3 year old, freezer burned steak before I load up a chunk of bass on a fork.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught some largemouth last year through the ice and they tasted fine. I can understand a little mushy out of warm water though.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've had plenty of bass, but why when you have Walleyes and cold water pike. no matter what you do to bass still tastes like bass. Funny how people who get gifted fish from me will notice a bass in the fillets but never notice pike. yea I'm spoiled I know.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried bass out of some good cool clean water and it tasted like sh#t. Bass are for catching, walleye for eating.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished for bass my whole life but have only ate them a handful of times. Always out of warm water since the water never really gets all that cold in Oklahoma. I've never noticed any unpleasant taste to it. I'd prefer walleye over it though.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never had largemouth, but I don't think you could tell the difference between smallmouth and walleye.

As for waterfowl, give me some quality mallard and I'll cook it between rare and medium-rare with a secret blend of spices and you will swear your eating the most tender steak ever.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never had largemouth, but I don't think you could tell the difference between smallmouth and walleye.

When I was a wee teenager, my father took me up with a buddy and his dad to the BWCA to camp and fish for a week. He woefully underestimated the hunger of two 15-year-old males.

With our reserves depleted, we were on a mission to catch fish for supper. We "survived" off northern, walleye and a single smallmouth.

You could not tell the difference between the pike and the walleye unless someone did a bad job filleting the former.

Smallmouth was on the menu just once. We split a 15-incher four ways and that was the last one of those we ate...despite the fact we couldn't get them to leave our hooks alone.

I'd eat my weight in pike before I'd eat a single smallmouth.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
LM in the 12-14in range are nothing different than big bluegill. In fact that's exactly what they are. Never ate a SM. Tried cleaning two and both had the same foul odor. He firmed the meat and cleaned flavor with the salt/ice bath. Sprite salt and ice would have been good too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67