Custom rod building

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who else out there has played around with building fishing rods? This is my first one and I had help from a friend. IMG_20161103_071804332.jpg
IMG_20161103_071730279_HDR.jpg
Currently working on a 7 foot door grip. I'll get pics of process and share once completed

Last edited:

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice work. I'd love to get into this, and I know a couple guys who do it pretty damned well. Gotta find the time though.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made about 20 in the last couple years. pretty even split of summer and ice rods. will get pics when I dig out ice rods in a few days

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made about 20 in the last couple years. pretty even split of summer and ice rods. will get pics when I dig out ice rods in a few days

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who else out there has played around with building fishing rods? This is my first one and I had help from a friend. image.jpg
monster-bullfrog.jpg
Currently working on a 7 foot door grip. I'll get pics of process and share once completed

Did the rod work well? Hows the new wrapper?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rod is great Auggie. The wrapper and kit seems to notch. Starting wrapping guides tonight

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought I was going to see a great topic on cars not fishing poles. Silly me, just old and never did get into fishing but did love the cars from the 50 and 60s. Nothing like a model A with a flat head Lincoln v8. Maybe on day I can have one but time is getting short. db

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB i started that thread a few months ago actually, A lot of nice old cars owned by guys on this site

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
yes Reaper, and it was good but could of use some more comments. I guess a newer pickup is more important to a young guy now.
But it was a big deal to have the right kind of car when you drove down Broadway Friday or Saturday night in Fargo.
Did make an initial different with what we were looking for and can not remember any pickups back then. Now that street is gone and all that came with it. Found my wife 40 some years ago on that street. Close to 50 years now. Kids must of gone somewhere but where I do not know.

Sometimes it took an hour to get from one end to the other but a lot of good things happen in that hour with some good memories. Found a night in jail on that street and if not to busy could get into second gear going over the south railroad tracks. Hopefully the light was green at the upcoming interception.
Thursday night was when the guys came with their vehicles and every Thursday night we ended up on airport road and would raced past the cemetery. Wonder if that road is still there with the cemetery? Imagine it is all buildings now. Would sneak into the drive end movie now and then on that road. Out ran the cop by hiding the car in that cemetery one night. In fact, well some things are better left alone and I guess this topic is about fishing rods. db

Last edited:

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
here is a rod I just finished. Pretty happy with it. It's the first long rod I built from ground up

Last edited by a moderator:

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you Lunker. It's pretty fun. Good way to unwind with a cold one after a day at the shop

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
That one was a MHX CIB30 light power fast action. I trimmed about 3 inches off the tip to bring it to more of a medium light power.

the spinning rod is a MHX HB843 Mag Taper, Med heavy, fast action

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So tomorrow is the big day and I am very excited to learn how to make my own fishing rods. Where do you guys get your supplies to make your own?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76