Shimano Discontinuing Sienna FD

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I waited until I got a few spares set aside to let the masses know. Shimano has discontinued their Sienna FD series. In my opinion, these are the best bang for your buck for an ice fishing reel. I even picked up a few 1000's for long rods. Why do companies always do this crap.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It looks like they revamped their line of reels, including the sienna and sedona, unfortunately at this time it doesn't look like any of them come in the 500 model. Will be interesting to see if that changes.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the heads up!! Hey, know anything about the tica cetus? I had one of those paired with a St. Croix legend ice rod that mysteriously disappeared from my inventory of ice rod/reel set ups last year.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think these companies can feel the demand for micro reels slip away with cheaper knock off from overseas no names is what people want when it comes to everyday fisherman. It's much easier to buy a combo with a 3 bearing reel or the new fab of inline reels.

I have two discontinued models plueger supreme xt reels which are the same reels as the new model but without the extra spool. For some reason a lot of reel manufacturer are stop selling reels with two spools. I also own to quantum energy 05 reels which are no longer made just like the Sienna FD reels. You can still get certain reels that have been discontinued off of eBay but most times they are used conditions.
For me I still like the discontinued reels myself and will pay top dollar for a new discontinued reel just because most times they are built with better parts, the down side of a discontinued reel is no extra parts. I think if you take care of those reels they should last a life time.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if you take care of those reels they should last a life time.

Not mine. I have tried expensive and cheaper reels and if I can get 2 years out of a reel I am "real" lucky. It has been said that I like to "cast, cast, cast" and I think this style of fishing wears down a reel a lot faster than say, trolling. I've tried several brands and they all last about the same. So now I try to buy the cheaper ones in my quality standards so I can just toss after a year or 2 and get a new one.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That makes me think about the whole ball bearing discussion as well as all metal body vs carbon fiber body. Some post I have read say it's all about the quality of the bearings not the quantity. You look at all the high end reels from Daiwa or pflueger, Shimano which shows that yes 12 bearing reels can cost 200+ dollars. So does more mean better reels in the life of the reel, because I have the same quatums I bought new in 09 which at the time were quatums top of the line tour edition 12 bearing mag loc titanium reels which were around 240$ a piece. A new quantum te30 still went for 220 on ebay which I thought was crazy price but the quality of the reel is well made.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have often thought the gears wear out in mine. They start making that hissing sound, eventually reel rough and have even had some lock up on a good hard hook set :)

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another example of new isn't better you compare the difference between the Dewalt 708 and 780/709 sliding compound miter saw. The quality of the 708 is superior to the newer models because of the design of the sliding rails system. The 708 has a long throw which some don't like because you have to bee so far away from the wall as well as having to pull the saw forward to more to achieve the same cut as the short throw of the newer design. But the problem is the rails on the new ones are parallel with the base as well as smaller diameter shaft giveing the saw more flex when using the saw to bevel a miter cut. The 708 has a rail system that is perpendicular to the base as wells as bigger diameter shaft. Which gives the a much better quality cut more consistently. So newer lighter design is not always better when you are still paying the same price when they were new.

- - - Updated - - -

I have often thought the gears wear out in mine. They start making that hissing sound, eventually reel rough and have even had some lock up on a good hard hook set :)
Maybe you need to go to a bigger reel

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I definitely not one of those spendy combo guys, even though I'll admit they are really damn nice. I'm kinda tough on my gear so I do my best to find some middle ground. I better go grab a few more I agree they could be the best bang for the $.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of my reels are from the early to mid-90's and are still going strong. Zebco Quantams, two Garcia Speed Masters and a Bantam Quardo. If any goes tits up I'll be in a major depression.

Spinning reel tip: Close the bail with your palm instead of the reel handle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66