Rapalla Battery Fillet Knife

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Anyone have one? Mine is only 6 months old, but the batteries seem to be crapping out on me already. It came with 2 batteries, and one seems okay, but the other only makes it through 4-5 fish before dudding out.

I have been cycling the batteries through the charger now for the past few days. If they sit off the charger for 1/2 a day they seem to start losing charge. We'll see how they respond after my cycling them through on the charger.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked one up last spring, I left it on the work bench in my garage, and it has sat there since. I have a corded one in the boat that I was going to put in the garage, and use the battery one in the boat, but the old switcheroo never happened. I hope it works, since it will now be in the ice gear bucket.

I charged everything when I purchased it, and now it has just sat.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I picked one up last spring, I left it on the work bench in my garage, and it has sat there since. I have a corded one in the boat that I was going to put in the garage, and use the battery one in the boat, but the old switcheroo never happened. I hope it works, since it will now be in the ice gear bucket.

I charged everything when I purchased it, and now it has just sat.

Im going to have to get a corded as a spare. Have the old school standard fillet knife too, but sometimes that can be work...and that's no fun.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had 2 or 3 rapala ones are they were junk. On the bright side their customer service was excellent.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked one up 2 years ago. Doesn't really get used in the summer since I don't usually get out. I've been happy with it until this fall, charged the lithium battery and it won't take/hold a charge. Not sure if I want to get another battery or just get a different knife.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it the lithium ion or the pos regular rechargeable? I ran a couple hundred fish through the lithium this last year and it will easily do 30-50 fish on a full charge.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my experience they both sucked. The Lithium one went bad right away. The regular battery one was fine for awhile but is going away quickly too. Not too impressed.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my Lithium Ion rapala knife. You absolutely cannot run the batteries completely dead on them otherwise you screw them up. Seems like I read somewhere that they have a protective circuit built into them that, if the battery voltage gets too low the circuit opens up and sometimes will not close and allow the battery to charge back up. I actually had to get a new battery after the first time I used my knife. Pulled it out of the package, cleaned a couple limits of fish and when I went to charge it, it wouldn't take a charge. I called Rapala and they mailed me a new battery free of charge.
Another thing to remember with these Lithium batteries is that it is absolutely imperative to use the proper supplied charger. Lithium batteries have a different charging cycle than other batteries. If you use the wrong charger, you will jack the battery up.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
boy...that seems to be a pain in the ass. every LION battery I have ever used has been great. they don't just "Wear out" they are designed to run till completely dead. then recharge. but I am usually wrong. I would say you got a lemon! just get a corded one and stick with it. I got tired of chasing the "more" portable electric option.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
After owning 3 different types of rapala fillet knives and all of them burning up when cleaning perch I will no longer buy one. I've had my American angler for 2 years now and cleaned a lot of perch and it has never gotten hot and always has power.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
500-0.jpg old style=JUNK
500-0.jpg new style = good

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had multiple rapalas and berkley ions, have had shitty luck with all of them, thought maybe I just got lemons too, but a couple of each kind has to be more than bad luck. They should come with a single regular fillet blade to stick in and finish filleting fish because the battery only seems to do about 3-4 on a good day before it they crap out. American angler is my go to.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of my friends have had the battery ones, but they all seemed to complain about them. Now most of them have electric corded knives, and used the money saved to buy a jumper pack or a power inverter for situations where no electricity is supplied.

I have a berkley corded knife that stays at home, a rapala corded knife in the truck with my power inverter, and I always have my CUTCO Fisherman's Solution knife with me.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must have the older style, V, because the new ones only come with a single battery, and the battery life is outstanding!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've used American Angler for years. Have one at the lake, one at home, bought one for my boys when they started learning how to clean fish. I got a Rapala corded for xmas one year and thought it would make a good backup knife. Biggest POS ever. Sent an email to Rapala and heard nothing at all. I gave the disgusting thing away. I recently bought a Mr Twister to see how they are. I had a buddy at the lake that had one a swore by that thing. I haven't used it yet but not expecting much. And by the way, has the price of those American Angler's shot up over the years. Been years since I've went to buy one. My old ones are still running good!

Fish On!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86