getting land access

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at the plots guide maps in an area I have to travel to for work. I located a couple spots of state land to stop at on my way back home to Bismarck, to try to call in a yote. The sections are pretty remote with really no road access. The closest way to get to two of them is a half mile walk down what looks like a property line between two fields. The aerial imaging doesn't show any place I'd like to try and drive whilst alone in the middle of nowhere. The other two have really no way to walk to them except each has a farmyard/homesite about 1/4 mile away from the boundary, which seems is the only way to drive within walking distance. Being that they are so remote is why I want to try and hunt them.

Any reason I can't walk down the property line between the fields to gain access?
Any reason why I shouldn't drive up to someone's house and ask to trespass through their yard/farm to gain access?

It just seems like there should be a clear way to access the properties am I missing something?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can walk the property line just make sure it is a section line not a half section line

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes you can legally walk the SECTION (not quarter) line but wouldn't it be easier to stop and visit with the landowner and ask for permission. Who knows, it might lead to permission to hunt a much larger block of land.

In my opinion, there is nothing better than good hunter/landowner relationships. If you make the first move it's far better than getting into an argument, even if you are within the right about legally accessing on a section line.

I'm thinking there aren't many landowners who would object to you hunting coyotes. As mentioned earlier, getting rid of some coyotes might lead to permission to hunt other species. Over the years I have added places to hunt by getting to know the landowner and actually becoming friendly and welcomed.

Getting permission to walk through the farmyard is way different than actually hunting in the farmyard. Good Luck.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like he said
Yes you can legally walk the SECTION (not quarter) line but wouldn't it be easier to stop and visit with the landowner and ask for permission. Who knows, it might lead to permission to hunt a much larger block of land.

In my opinion, there is nothing better than good hunter/landowner relationships. If you make the first move it's far better than getting into an argument, even if you are within the right about legally accessing on a section line.

I'm thinking there aren't many landowners who would object to you hunting coyotes. As mentioned earlier, getting rid of some coyotes might lead to permission to hunt other species. Over the years I have added places to hunt by getting to know the landowner and actually becoming friendly and welcomed.

Getting permission to walk through the farmyard is way different than actually hunting in the farmyard. Good Luck.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now that deer gun season is over, I would be willing to bet that your chances improve by asking the landowner...even by phone if they do not live close. I have found it also helps, for ditch parrots anyway, to stop at the local owners farmyard after you have finished hunting it...to thank them and give them a pack of frozen fish. More times than not, it leads to future permissions and a good relationship.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are hunting coyotes most people will let you on. If you are hunting something else and tell them coyotes and they find out, more than likely this land will never be hunted again by outsiders. Don't lie to the landowner and always thank them and any gifts will be appreciated greatly!
We always gave gift certificates to steak houses to landowners for prairie dog hunting as both them and their wife like them. Happy wife happy life!!!!!!

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my experience 90% of land owners are very nice and thankful just for you asking, even if they say no. Introduce yourself and be friendly and it will go a long way. I do the gift certificate or frozen game for a gift as well. Almost always have a automatic yes in the future but I make sure to ask every time anyways. To me I HATE hunting looking over my shoulder all the time wondering if I'm going to get my ass chewed for possibly being somewhere I shouldn't be by accident. Takes all the fun out of it for me.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I am driving and see a coyote on a posted field he is getting shot at out the window. If it is posted and I would like to walk in and hunt then I ask permission.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my experience 90% of land owners are very nice and thankful just for you asking, even if they say no. Introduce yourself and be friendly and it will go a long way. I do the gift certificate or frozen game for a gift as well. Almost always have a automatic yes in the future but I make sure to ask every time anyways. To me I HATE hunting looking over my shoulder all the time wondering if I'm going to get my ass chewed for possibly being somewhere I shouldn't be by accident. Takes all the fun out of it for me.

sorry but gifting is creepy to me - I feel like I am manipulating the landowner (bribing)

please proceed with bashing guywholoathessuckingupnomatterwhichsideofthesuckupheison

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I grew up on a 118 section ranch that was posted "No Hunting". Anyone that came up to the house and asked for permission to hunt always got an ok. They would get the "leave the gates where they are, DO NOT shoot the cows and horses, DO NOT shoot water tanks, equipment" speech then he would tell them good luck.

When I find a place I want to hunt wayyyy before I plan to hunt I go up to the door I ask if they have a couple of minutes to talk. If they do I introduce myself and ask permission to hunt deer, elk, coyotes, prairie dogs. I offer to help them with simple projects and promise not to shoot, cows/horses/water tanks/equipment and leave the gates where they are. I also promise not to show up with extra "friends".

I check in when I'm planning to hunt and let them know when I'm leaving. If I see something out of place I let them know. I offer to share whatever I shot on their property.

Over the years I've been lucky enough to be able to hunt some great places and made some good friends.

Best of luck and good hunting to you guys.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
sorry but gifting is creepy to me - I feel like I am manipulating the landowner (bribing)

please proceed with bashing guywholoathessuckingupnomatterwhichsideofthesuckupheison
I don't tell them when asking permission that i will give them gift certificates, i give them the certs if they give us permission. Quite a few declined my offer of certs but i give it to them anyways and if they won't take it i mailed it to them. We always bought them ahead of time and had them in the pickup. If you don't give them away you can use them yourself.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80