Spicy asian goose a l'orange?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had 2 goose breasts from one of our last duck hunts that somehow avoided the sausage pile with the ducks. Admittedly, it was a smaller goose for late season and not as dark as usual. Nonetheless, I had high hopes and must have been feeling a bit riske' at the time because I even vacuum sealed them. I thawed them out in the fridge Friday and Saturday and trimmed off the silver skin with a razor sharp filet knife. Then I took a look in the fridge and saw orange juice so I googled something like "duck orange marinade" and called a friend who is creative. What followed was a bit of a combination of an Internet recipe, some advice from a friend and my own experience with fowl.

The marinade was about 1 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/4 C soy, 1/4 C honey, 1/4 C oil & 2 heaping Tblsp garlic chili paste. Marinated 48 hours in a ziploc. Wrapped in bacon. Pan fried to medium rarish. Drizzled with the reduced marinade. I was worried about the marinade taking on a heavy fowl taste. So, I contemplated remaking the mixture fresh and reducing it down. Ultimately, I got lazy and just used the marinade reduced by 2/3 or so. Glad I did. It was perfect and there was no need for it to be fresh. Sliced and plated with white rice. I thought it was a tad red for my wife. So, the one in the pics got nuked for about 30 seconds before it got drizzled. There is a prenuke and post nuke pic. It wasn't any worse for the wear though and the entire meal truly was unexpectedly awesome. Even my hard to please wife and kids devoured it. It just goes to show that with a tad bit of effort even a honker can be made to taste worthy of being placed on a good restaurant's menu. Bon appetit!
20161205_195218.jpg
20161205_195745.jpg
20161205_201606.jpg
20161205_202345.jpg
20161205_202520.jpg
20161205_202646.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you find an Asian goose in ND?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed looks and sounds great,pan fried eh?

I'll add soaking the bird in coke over night if you have time or dry age the bird,aging breaks down the blood corpusals and lightens the meat up from dark to lite colored meat.Coke will draw the blood out and well and tenderize the meat,adding bacon is fool proof even for the pickyest eaters.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks tasty still can't get myselft to eat fowl that rare, usually a medium to medium well. I was never a fan of ducks/goose breast but have been tinker around with different marinades and recipes and some have turned out fairly well. Soy sauce, orange juice, garlic are usually the base ingredients like yours. What does the oil in a marinade do?

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a goose breast last night for the first time and have to admit, it wasn't all bad, I'm not fan of med rare meat like Item8. Last night was an experiemnt for me. I should have cut the breast up more to thinner pieces and will do that next time around.

I marinated mine in Montreal steak seasoning for about a day or so, that just consists of water, light olive oil and the seasoning.

From what I read, the olive oil is what sucks the wild taste out of the meat

think next time I will add soy sauce and garlic in the marinade

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meat thermometer read 145 when it was done resting. Been told that's probably safe. I will admit that's the rarest I've ever eaten fowl. People that eat it often say that's the best way too cook it though. I will say that the gamey taste seems to increase as the temperature goes up for whatever reason. Texture was very similar to a medium rare steak.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks pretty damn rare. I believe I'd prefer 160ish. I also believe this device (Jaccard) may be beneficial before the initial marinade:

th

- - - Updated - - -

The post nuke pic looks perfect IHHO.

- - - Updated - - -

11:34 looks perfect to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9vvZ4VV0A0

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good looking bird! I have a few that I may spare from the grinder tonight to try. Med rare is certainly the best way to eat them. I got to 150-155ish, probably closer to medium. Any more than that and it's too tough. The tenderizer makes a big difference too!

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
140-145 is what I usually shoot for. Birds I cleaned last weekend had more fat than I have ever seen on wild fowl.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer my wild fowl breasts 125ish-130. If i'm doing a whole farm raised duck I shoot higher.

That looks good!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73