Could A Muskie Eat a Poodle?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
[h=1]Could A Muskie Eat a Poodle? by Tim Romano[/h]I love fishing streamers. The bigger the better… I also love throwing mice and lemming patterns for big trout, bass, and other swimming toothy critters that enjoy an occasional mammal treat off the surface. That’s why when my friend causally told me she’d fed a poodle to a muskie the other night over dinner I nearly fell out of my chair. No kidding…
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-01%20at%209.24.15%20AM.png

The fact that I even found the image above over at Zazzle.com is bizarre. I WAS image searching that very thing this morning after after hearing the story, just to see if there were other instances and apparently some one else must have seen it happen or they just have a very creative mind. Anyway...
The story, quite simply goes like this. My friend Holly as a child was asked to teach a neighbors small poodle to try and learn how to swim for a couple bucks. This took place somewhere in Wisconsin on a lake known for big muskies. She started shallow, placing the dog in a couple of inches of water trying to get it to paddle back to shore and progressively moved deeper. At some point she decided to take the dog out to the end of the dock where there was a very deep drop off. Apparently she placed the dog in the water to try and coax it back to shore when a huge muskie silently flashed out of the depths grabbed the dog and took it down without so much as a yelp or a bubble. She swears that this happened. I honestly believe her. I’ve heard of other crazy fish eating mammal stories, but this one takes the cake for sure.
What do you think, could a muskie eat a poodle?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would have to be a toy poodle or that size, and I suppose it could be possible, but I highly doubt it.

You do hear quite a bit about muskies eating birds, however. In fact a guide on Detroit Lakes named Jerry Sondag filmed a TV show with Larry Dahlberg and was talking about a coot/muskie connection. Apparently, Jerry catches fish in the fall (and did a couple times on this episode) that have coot feather in their poop.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If only we could breed a strain of Muskies that targeted Cormorants!! Probably won't happen though as it'd likely reduce their pickeling appeal.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im sure its happened, and there was a story about this happening on a lake in Minnesota where a family friend has a cabin. Ive seen the aftermath of a pike attacking a girl who was splashing her foot in the water off the end of a dock, happened here in Bismarck at a marina along the river. I was there with my boat shooting carp when it happened. Didnt damage the girls foot too bad, but it was bleeding pretty good. Ive got a picture of her foot somewhere, Im sure she wont splash her feet off the end of a dock again!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet Royce would eat a muskie... Just sayin..

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
A former coworker from Minnesota told a fishing tale of an old lady that got in trouble for using kittens to trap musky. The old dame fashioned a board that was edged with hooks, put a kitten on the board and floated it off the dock with a tether rope.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
A former coworker from Minnesota told a fishing tale of an old lady that got in trouble for using kittens to trap musky. The old dame fashioned a board that was edged with hooks, put a kitten on the board and floated it off the dock with a tether rope.

They just don't make em like they used to.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is a picture of a northern about 38 inches. I believe I caught it 4 times in 3 days and decieded it was time to not take the chance of losing lures to it. when I cut it open to fillet it had a full size muskrat in it. Had witnesses to see it or no one would probably believe me. If you look close U can see eyes and front legs, back legs are starting to digest from stomach acids. Scared the hell out of me as it slid out, at first thought it was a bird.norscrat.jpg photo.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76