Shooting bag/rifle rest?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using bipods for a bit, thinking I might try something different. I've brought this up before but it was awhile back.

I'm leaning towards a shooting bag for a couple reasons:
1. Easier to tote around than an adjustable rest and can be useful outside of a traditional shooting bench.
2. I shoot a lot of ARs with different style handguards. Seems a sandbag is one-size-fits-all.

Because I shoot a lot of ARs, I need enough height to accommodate a mag sticking out the bottom of the rifle. I think an adjustable front rest would do that. Not sure if a bag would be tall enough?

What do you use?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uncle buds bull bag and a protektor rear leather bag filled with heavy sand is your huckleberry. Shooting sub moa groups of the sandbags is where its at.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never shot an AR though off of the sandbags. I would guess you would need to block up the sandbag.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use shooting bags from www.dog-gone-good.com. Spendier than some but made in USA by a retired cop and built very well. I shoot my minis with 20 round clips and works well with these bags. Friends with ARs tend to turn the bag sideways as the fat fore end doesns't sit in the groove well. They are kinda heavy when filled but you could look into a lighter weight fill if you plan to carry them around hunting. Combine these bags with a DOA tactical tripod shooting bench and its a rock steady platform for sighting in or prairie dog shooting.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my pack up front and a coat or something for a rear rest. I like practicing with what I will use in the field

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not use a 10 or 20 round mag then you would not have to worry about the height of the sand bag

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my pack up front and a coat or something for a rear rest. I like practicing with what I will use in the field

This is what I would do too. If you have the equipment and really trying to work up a load that will shoot the balls off a flea then A coat, glove and sling was the only way I could ever hold like Velcro and make myself not think about the trigger. Bipods were my worst. That wasn't AR with long clip but I still think a properly used sling is hard to beat. Maybe even a sling and bags ?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a bipod for nearly everything. Over 1000 yards I sometimes use a butt bag. I make my own bags. Sand is heavy for field use. I bought poly beads at Walmart, but they don't sell them anymore, and I can't find them on the internet. I think I will try the 6mm BB"S they use in airport guns. I like ripstop nylon with light slippery beads for a butt bag. Don't fill it completely. When squeezed it lifts the rear of the rifle, and when you relax your grip it lowers the rear of the rifle. I make mine tall and slim to keep them light. My butt bag is eight ounces.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot off the backpack when shooting the gong. When punching paper i prefer the sandbags.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use the 10 shot mags from Fulton-Armory , they sure don't scratch up the hood of the pickup like 20 and 30 shot mags do and also work good with a bipod

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not use a 10 or 20 round mag then you would not have to worry about the height of the sand bag

I have some shorter mags but don't want to handicap myself if I happen to only have full size mags in my bag.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Midway sells these bags in three different widths. The rest I cobbled together not my idea but I have two of them now. I use them with a angled rear bag.

Attachments

IMG_5193.jpg

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use cut off jeans. I cut the leg at 20" and hot glue one end. Fill them with Wheat and fold over and hot glue. There light and stack easy. When they start to sprut I throw away and start over.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a few differnt size bags, but I bought this rest a couple years ago.228392.jpg

Ive used it mainly for sighting in. I bought it and it works well for cleaning guns on the bench at home.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Midway sells these bags in three different widths. The rest I cobbled together not my idea but I have two of them now. I use them with a angled rear bag.

That's using your noggin Huff. Nice work.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
cut up old jeans and glue the folds with this from Mills Fleet or Menards

val_a_tear_mender.jpg

You can make every size/shape you want - even cut up waist bands and glue them on to use for carrying handles

I made 4 or 5 15 years ago and still have them - tehr greeze stays flexible forever - no leaks

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the range, I find the Caldwell Tack Driver works well as a front bag with 20 round mags. Might be a bit short for 30s -- don't know -- don't use them. Then pretty much any angled rear bag should work well for the rear.

I like the MacGyver ideas above though. That car jack one is especially cool. It's probably the only thing those jacks are good for.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG and others,

I'm thinking of AirSoft BBs...I don't know about the cost.

- - - Updated - - -

I have some shorter mags but don't want to handicap myself if I happen to only have full size mags in my bag.

I'm reminded when Jiffy posted a pic of his bbl striped like a roll of Life Savers with blue electric tape. He didn't reply when I asked how much he planned on shooting. I miss that feller.

Last edited:

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the range, I find the Caldwell Tack Driver works well as a front bag with 20 round mags. Might be a bit short for 30s -- don't know -- don't use them. Then pretty much any angled rear bag should work well for the rear.

I like the MacGyver ideas above though. That car jack one is especially cool. It's probably the only thing those jacks are good for.

Looks like a camper leveling jack to me

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those "Hot Seats" are also decent and could be readily modified along with a shredded gas station styrofoam cooler.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56