Sausage Fest 2016 Jan 27th-29th!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fort KDM will again be opening the "Butcher Shop" and smoke house to those that would like to further process those fur covered or feather covered yummies into smoked delights. I have two grinders, a commercial deli slicer for jerky, a few large mixing tubs, and a fairly large smoker available. Last year was a HUGE success and we processed over 1000 lbs of burger, sausage, and jerky. I will have accommodations for a few folks that would like to extend their stay. Please bring your own pork, seasonings, casings, and vacuum packers or whatever you plan on putting the finished product in to take care of your goodies. Grinding will commence bright and early Friday morning the 27th of Jan. Come and Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess it would actually by 2017, but meh, you get the idea.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm, Sausage Fest?:(

Just sounds a bit off.

Not that there's anything wrong with it..

Last edited:

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately I am deerless again this year. No rifle tag and I haven't had a good look at one with my bow. Unless that changes, I am out.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good on you KDM for opening up Fort KDM for this!!:;:thumbsup One day I will have to make WalleyeGuy bring me along to meet, and fish with you. I hope there are also women involved in this Sausage Fest!! ;:;rofl as the name does seem a little odd! :;:smokin ;:;boozer

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn, I'd love to have a thick venison summer sausage sandwich with provolone and hot mustard on black bread right now. My preferred sides would be pickled beets and plain potato chips. I usually go with Lay's Original. I'd go with a dark beer accompiant.

For this total snack perfection:
th

- - - Updated - - -

Not dark but would be perfect.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mama KDM is really in charge of this event as she is the Quality Assurance Boss. If it doesn't pass her inspection, my life gets a bit more complicated. Suppose we could have called it a Sausage Preparation Festival, but that's kind of boring if you ask me. Whatever you want to call it, it's just an excuse to get together, drink some beverages, and make some darn good vittles while we're at it. The "Taste Testing" is my favorite part. This year I'm going to do more Pepperoni. A buddy of mine turned me on to this and man o man does that stuff go great with beer!! Now I'm hungry!!!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might be there or might not I'll let you know a couple day before. I think there is a yote tournament that weekend so I doubt it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one thinks that chili looks good? I'd leave out all the green stuff and add a bit more cayenne.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone is interested in how to make corned venison, I can bring the ingredients for my dry rub and show you guys the ropes. Super duper easy recipe. If you got a roast in the 2-4 pound range, it's a great way to enjoy it.

We make reubens out of it the day it's cooked. Sliced hot, piled on rye bread with swiss cheese, then slathered with sauerkraut and Thousand Island. Oh yes...Oh yes please.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
you should post up that recipe! I have made a version of it before but it didn't turn out the best...edible but not the best!
If anyone is interested in how to make corned venison, I can bring the ingredients for my dry rub and show you guys the ropes. Super duper easy recipe. If you got a roast in the 2-4 pound range, it's a great way to enjoy it.

We make reubens out of it the day it's cooked. Sliced hot, piled on rye bread with swiss cheese, then slathered with sauerkraut and Thousand Island. Oh yes...Oh yes please.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
you should post up that recipe! I have made a version of it before but it didn't turn out the best...edible but not the best!

The key to good corned venison is TIME and ground bay leaves, the latter of which can be hard to locate. Luckily, CashWise has/had it in their bulk seasoning area.

Also, trimming the cut is key. NO FAT. Sinew is fine as that's usually taken care of during the boiling process.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's old school right there. Doesn't look like stainless steel, so sanitation might be an interesting endeavor with that. Have a 3/4 and a 1/2 horse cabelas grinder that will eat whatever meat you want to feed'em, frozen or thawed, but thanks for the heads up ndwalleyes. I'm always on the lookout for additions to the slaughter house. Almost pulled the trigger on a professional meat mixer, but I don't think that myself and 5 good buddies could shoot enough meat to satisfy that monster machine. It would have taken up 1/3 of the usable work space, but obviously I second guess that decision right about this time every year. (Grin)

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha...yeah it's a little dated but figured you'd find it interesting. I'd love to know the story behind it. It looks like from stem to stern it would be 12 feet long!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take 4 men and a boy to move it too!! What a BEAST, but I bet that thing will still be functional long after my 4th cabelas grinder is long dead and gone though.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 8lb cast iron stuffer and that think weights about 40lbs I would even want to try and move that thing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74