Lengthening a Shotgun Force Cone

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
My go-to scatter gun is a 12g Versa Max. IC or M choke usually, Patternmaster Long Range when I'm feeling spicy. Been reading up on lengthening force cones. Mixed reviews for and against. Anyone here with first hand knowledge with having it done?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had it done on an 1100 and M12. Noticed no difference in pattern or recoil.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
They shave out the bore a bit in front of the chamber. Supposed to facilitate easier passage of the shot charge.

KJND

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sporting gun has them done but i think the cones help more with lead shot than they would with pellets that don't deform like steel/hevi.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of the newer higher end semi's are done@ the factory these days,and yes,by doing so it enhances the shot pattern "IF" they back bore the entire barrel plus it does reduce felt recoil,most competition shooters have it done on their breech shotguns,I spent $200 on each barrel (all 3) back when I was heavy into trap in all (3) events,did it make a difference? maybe,but it boils down to the indian behind the gun doing his job when he pulls the trigger (or releases it).Another trade secret,release trigger usually for the shooter with a flinch.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the early 80's when I was going to school for gunsmithing we opened up a few for shooters. Most said they didnt feel or see much differance.

I had one guy come in and wanted his trigger lighted up. I told him I would get at it in a few days. The next day he came in and I wasnt around and he took his shotgun thinking I had worked on it. I hadnt work on it and didnt know he even took it till he came back to are class room. In front of everyone in the class he praised me for the work I had done. He said he shot two rounds and broke 25 each time out of 25. Said it was the best he had ever shot.

I didnt have the heart to tell him I didnt touch his gun.

People are fun sometimes

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66