Cooking and Eating European Starling

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
got some friends that cleaned and ate about 25 blackbirds one night. i was there for the shoot. missed the cooking and eating. sounds like they were alright. no reason they shouldn't taste fine. they eat lots of grains.

badland mule

Founding Member
Founding Member
Svn want some wine with those birds ? I think "Doing it cheap" is next of kin to Uncle Steve .

1. No methods to sanitize equipment or ingredients (especially bacteria filled garden hose water)? There is a very high probability that grape juice is going to get an infection.

B. That bakers yeast is going to make it taste nasty if it takes over before anything else gets started eating that sugar.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, it could turn. On the other hand; how sterile was the manufacture of a 1920's Rothschild? Our immune systems are being weakened and bacteria grow stronger due to antibiotics.

- - - Updated - - -

There's likely chlorine in the water. I would use distilled. What else would eat the sugar?

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy in College who worked on a migration study for Red Wing Blackbirds. They dusted whole flocks from different locations in the upper midwest with corresponding colored glow powders from aircraft and then went to Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi to find out which birds migrated from which location. They'd shoot Red Wings with shotguns and then look for glow dust under a special light. Almost everywhere they collected birds, someone would come by and ask what they were going to do with the pile of Black Birds when they were done and ask if they could have them to eat. He said they rarely threw any of the birds away as most of them were taken by folks to eat. At least they weren't wasted I guess.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. No methods to sanitize equipment or ingredients (especially bacteria filled garden hose water)? There is a very high probability that grape juice is going to get an infection.

B. That bakers yeast is going to make it taste nasty if it takes over before anything else gets started eating that sugar.

Haha I agree 100%, My post was about this guy named "doing it cheep".

badland mule

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, it could turn. On the other hand; how sterile was the manufacture of a 1920's Rothschild? Our immune systems are being weakened and bacteria grow stronger due to antibiotics.

- - - Updated - - -

There's likely chlorine in the water. I would use distilled. What else would eat the sugar?

when brewing you want your equipment and ingredients to be sanitized they don't need to be sterilized. you just need the yeast to take off first since not much else will survive in the environment that yeast creates (low oxygen high carbon dioxide and some alcohol) I am sure that the rothchild was made in a very clean environment since brewers don't want to waste product and time on a wasted batch.

As to what else eats the sugar- wild yeast, bacteria, mold.

boiling the water beforeuse works also

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you facilitate introduction of the wild yeast? Grandma used cheesecloth to keep the gnats out; with the brew in large ceramic crocks.

My Lord she just had a heart attack today and needs stints and a valve replacement. Her dementia may prevent surgery from what I'm hearing. She came over on the Boat as a baby and made her way to the Hills. The farm behind her house was instrumental in re-stocking WT deer to WV and the east coast. The stock came from Michigan which is why Georgia has the same big bodied deer as up here.

Anyways, I wish I could give y'all a bottle of Grandma's Wine. It was thin and tasted of port. It was made from arbors of beautiful, horrid tasting grapes in the soil below a strip coal mine.

My cousin now owns the property. If he maintained or has access to the seed, he's got a goldmine.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85