guywho'sbeensmokingmeats' pics

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishies, back bacon, shoulder bacon

2016-12-14 19.04.51.jpg

cut "wrong way" (with grain) but only so I can fit them in vac pacs - then sous vide to 150f perfection - then chill - then slice
2016-12-15 17.53.15.jpg
2016-12-15 19.56.14.jpg

white bass and a big fat dirtymike-inspired trout
2016-11-21 07.14.05.jpg

2016-12-10 07.36.04.jpg

butt-sicles - hee hee
2016-12-10 07.35.23.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guywhosmokesthings, we need to chat about your fishy success. I have a tulibee from last winter that I want to smoke. Never done a fish before, so guidance will be appreciated.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
YUM.
How do you do your white bass? Last time I did it was an epic fail.

3-4 hour wet apple-themed brine, light water rinse, pellicle formation (half day... overnight?), smoke in ALDER 3 hours at 180f(f?), finish off in oven to 140f or whatever final IT for fish is (can't recall).

I can post details later if you want... my memory sucks since I started hanging around with skaters.

Then cool the fishies (fridge if needed during warm times), then vacuum bag.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yummmy. man I want to know more... ever do sausages or is your waiter boy still hooking you up..

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you willing to share the process and recipes for the shoulder and back bacon? Looks tasty and can never have to much bacon

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My business partner picked me up a traeger grill for a Christmas present, I will be trying this out next week when the temp gets back above -25*.
Anyone use one of these have some tips for my virgin time, likely beer butt chickens for my first go around.

I have the same set up as Guy with my Bradley, works well.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
waunR

Youtube is full of recipes for traeger cooks.

Rectec is also a pellet grill with many recipes on youtube.

Season the grill with a couple jimmy dean sausages packs ( big fattys ) then do the obligatory beer can chicken challenge.....

The treager has been a blast to play with

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
My business partner picked me up a traeger grill for a Christmas present, I will be trying this out next week when the temp gets back above -25*.
Anyone use one of these have some tips for my virgin time, likely beer butt chickens for my first go around.

Easy to use. Make sure you follow the start up instructions. Keep it clean. I vacuum mine out every 2-3 uses. If you don't you'll get fine ash on everything you cook. Store pellets in a bucket with a good lid. If you plan to use in real cold conditions, I've read of guys putting a couple fire bricks along side of the burn box to help retain heat.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member

Grilling a bunch of bacon works really well for a first seasoning with all the grease splatters and who needs an excuse to eat a bunch of bacon. If you plan on using a fair amount in winter get the insulated cover or a welders blanket to put over really helps with the pellet consumption. Get an amazen tube if you like a good smoke flavor the pellet grills will put on a good smoke, but I like a heavier smoke and use the pellet smoker on longer cooks pork butts, ribs, etc. Get a couple dog food storage containers that have a snap seal lid on them(tsc is where I got mine) to store the pellets in. Find a few buddies who have pellet grills and order a pallet of pellets saves a lot of money vs. buying just a bag at a time. Giver hell, I know I haven't used my bradley much since getting a pellet grill/smoker

DJE

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a compliment u should ever hare from another man but your meat looks great. Straight.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoulder bacon was very very good fired - with eggs/toast.

A couple edge pieces were saltier than desired (I am not a fan of salty foods) so next time I'll soak the roasts in a water bath after brining to bring the outside edges down in salt - as opposed to just a good rinsing that I did this time around.

- - - Updated - - -

2016-12-16 17.45.28.jpg

sliced after sous vide and another day drying in fridge

I ate quite a bit unfried - prosciutto style - good but not "nutty" enough (from letting it rot for months like the real deal)

hmmm... I just might have to venture into funky meat territory :;:smokin
DSCN0898.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry I ruined fine salami's and prosciutto for you guys that didn't realize where the gorgeous flavors came from

if I did.... sorry - and please don't research what makes good cheeses taste like they do either :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69