Coyote vocals?

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am fairly new to calling coyotes I have mainly used rabbit and bird distress and pup in distress with some success. I would like to try calling some using vocals and see what kind of luck I have. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on what vocals to use or not use before I go out and educate more coyotes by using trial and error. Thanks in advance

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try howling. It piques their curiosity and they might come over to see "Who's here?" Also, if you are hunting cat tail sloughs, fighting raccoons has been the demise of more than it's share of song dogs. Two shooters works best in a back to back situation for this. When you see them, they are often neck deep in the grass and all you have is the head. Any movement you make and they have you pegged. Good Luck and KILL A BUNCH!!!!

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks kdm I will have to try that would have never thought of coon fight.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Feb and March the vocals shine as they are getting ready for the big hump. I had good luck recently with antelope and deer fawn distress.

Starting out a series with a lonesome female howl is how I start my stand unless i'm in fox country.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look up Randy Anderson - http://callingcoyotes.com/ Get a DVD or two, or find him on youtube.
He's the man. He almost always starts with some howls.
I like to do a mature male 'locator-type' howl, then wait a 30s to a minute and do a young answer howl. Seems like when they howl back, it's always after the young answer howl.
In my experience, outside of breeding season, they don't often come to the howl, even if they answer and are close enough. However, it at least gets their attention. Then when you switch to a distress, they just have to come see what's going on.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a big fan of howling in the fall. It works best early and late in the day for this time of year for me.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the advice guys hopefully I can sneak away and give some new tactics a try this weekend.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanna blast a few yet this year, my yote gun is just about complete...savage 10 predator max 243, got picatinny rail and rings, probably just use the Nikon off the semi auto for now to start with....58 gr v-max to start.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would the sound of two cats fighting work? Cat fights really get my dogs going nuts.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77