OK..Chumps..whats your fav soup for cold weather???

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not what your wife makes..what you make....I'm making chicken dumpling tonight...boooyaaa!

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
whatever foods you like to make when its cold out, is fair game I guess.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
knoephla and new England clam chowder are my favorites, but I like most soups that are thick enough to eat with a fork

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good thick chili.

Save pheasant feet to boil in chicken/pheasant soup if you're sick. Hell of a lot of nutrients per Mike Savage. Don't eat.

Can of Progresso Chicken Pot Pie, add Frank's or Tabasco, cheese and tortilla chips to preferred texture and taste. "Decent" facsimile of chicken tortilla. Eat out of pot.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chili....hands down....all day long....done deal when it's cold outside. This weekend, there will be chili in the house!!!!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went pheasant hunting in SD this fall, and the chef at the place we hunted out of made an awesome pheasant wild rice soup that I really liked.:;:rockitPotato ham, clam chowder, chicken tortilla, pretty much any Progresso soup if I want something quick at home. Wife makes an awesome homemade chili. Speaking of Tabasco, which by the way I hate the taste of, anyone use Sriracha sauce in place of Tabasco? I have and really like it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boil up a whole KDM chicken for ~3hrs. Pull the meat off the carcass and re-introduce into the stock. Add water until it's not "gelatin thick" liquid in the soup pot. Add some Johnnys or Tony Chachere's to taste. Pearle onions, celery, mushrooms, carrots, good thick egg noodles if momma's here, dumplings if she's not.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tikka,

Don't know if it would work with my above "recipe". I'd do cayenne, chili powder and cumin. Taco Bell sauce would also win. The carrots, etc don't taste weird with this concoction. Promise.

- - - Updated - - -

Boil up a whole KDM chicken for ~3hrs. Pull the meat off the carcass and re-introduce into the stock. Add water until it's not "gelatin thick" liquid in the soup pot. Add some Johnnys or Tony Chachere's to taste. Pearle onions, celery, mushrooms, carrots, good thick egg noodles if momma's here, dumplings if she's not.

The same deal with pheasant or ruff. May work with Hun; never tried it.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mix up a good batch of chilli on the stove in evening after work then put into crock pot to let simmer all day long, so good after a day of working out in the cold. Make some garlic toast and a clamato busch light:;:cheers

I also like a good knephlua soup or potato bacon soup.
Another cold weather food is a hearty stew in the crock pot, if you have fresh buns to eat with it puts it over the top

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The same deal with pheasant or ruff. May work with Hun; never tried it.

But, KDM birds come vacuum-packed with the skin still on and I didn't have to pluck them. plucking upland game to save the skin so as to have enough "flavor" for the initial stock is a pain in the rump. Stopping buy a nabbing a KDM bird often times comes with a diet coke or blue num num and 0 work.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oyster stew or clam chowder a good thick variety

- - - Updated - - -

Fresh oysters

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD,

Throw the shins/feet in the pot. Probably not a sub for skin but according to Savage...IDK

I'm not saying this is better. A few years ago Savage did a long rant about this.

I do know a very decent concoction can be produced with your method and uses the whole bird. You may have to add a bit of bacon fat etc.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
we're just finishing up a big batch of home made beef with meatballs, barley, cabbage, carrots, and dumplings...

when we carve the thanksgiving and christmas turkey, all but the meat goes into a pot that is filled with cold water and put in the garage overnight... next day it is boiled all day, then turned into soup that night... best part of the turkey...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74