Want an ATV, but have questions?????

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking for an ATV to go along with my Kayak, but know very little about ATV's. Research says Honda is about as bullet proof as an ATV can get, but the electric shift isn't very user friendly. Yamaha is a close second with the Grizzly being the most dependable and very similar to the Honda's. I'm concerned about the belt drives of other products and have heard that maintenance with these types can be an issue. I'm just looking for a solid dependable machine. Nothing flashy or sporty. Just something I can use all year for hunting, fishing, snaring, trapping, and whatever else I decide to get myself into. Thanks Guys for any input as the number of options for this are STAGGERING!!!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
power steering - you are old now

maybe you should consider these instead - just drive this into the river and fish

footer_argo.png

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Side by side. Nicer ride and box for all your trapping and fishing stuff. Strap your kayak on top and away you go.:;:rockit

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
power steering - you are old and washed up - scrawny arms

maybe you should consider these instead

footer_argo.png

FEAR the Grey Beard!!!!! We cheat, bring guns to fist fights, rockets to gun fights, walk away only to sneak up behind you in the dark with a board. Age and deceit will always win over youth and strength. But I did take my monthly shower last night so I guess I am "Washed Up" for a while.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha! I edited it but you quoted me. Dangit!

- - - Updated - - -

Honda wins the quality/durability contest 9/10 times. Ride, price, upgrade doohickies, etc not so much from those I talk to.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go Honda or Polaris. Old Man has a Grizzly and it's a POS. Maybe he has a lemon, if it's colder than 20, don't count on it starting.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a UTV instead. Nicer ride you can take the whole family around the property with.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to get one too, Mostly us it for a snowplow instead of the tractor. I read about power steering, Is it actually tough work to steer one with a blade with manual steering ? Or is it more of a comfort thing ? I have nothing against a good workout but some days I feel a little arthritis and wondering if they steer ok once your moving . I have a big yard so not many sharp turns .

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want an ATV go with the Honda Rubicon, no belts to worry about.
Any year will do but get a clean used one from older folks. Rincon if you want a smoother ride since it has independent suspension.
A rancher would work as well. But the rubicon has the best tranny pretty much just like a car.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a UTV is nicer for hunting, fishing, and snaring/trapping.

As far as ATVs, Hondas are pretty tough and a good machine but stuff still breaks on them. I don't like their ride, how you shift to reverse, and their raised foot pegs aren't comfortable if you wanna stand and ride over rough ground.

Yahama Grizzly 700 is a very dependable machine with lots of power. Kind of silly that you have to hold the brake to shift to reverse but you get used to it. More of a problem if used to chase cows and you want to go from forward to reverse fast.

I've had Arctic Cats all my life. They've been good machines for me and I work the dog shit out of em. Mine seem to like to eat front wheel bearings but I think that may be all the water and muck I go through. Usually at 10k miles I have to change bushings in the suspension and change the shocks to. I change oil once a year and try to change/clean air filter twice a year. Air filters and radiators get really dirty if you use em off road a lot. My 06 500 I've changed the belt at 7k miles and again at 14k miles. Both times I swamped it in water and filled the case. Probably could have just dried it out and got more miles out of it but figured if its apart I'm putting a new one in. I wouldn't worry to much about belts. I pull the dog crap out of mine and drive it pretty hard and have never had a belt fail or slip except for getting it wet. But that's when you get in deep water where the machine is almost floating. Just turn the plug out of the belt case, let water run out then put in neutral and rev engine to blow remaining water out. That will get you back home and then take the cover off the case and dry it out or replace the belt.

No matter what brand you buy I recommend that you look for one that has power steering. If you do any spraying with a hand wand or turn with heavy loads you'll be glad you have power steering. Also diff lock is mandatory for me. Can really go through the slop when its locked it and can really help get you out of some tough spots.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you buy, make sure it's EFI. So much nicer. Honda's are pretty much bulletproof. If you were looking for performance, you would look at CanAm or Polaris.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I was driving to work yesterday the pickup in front of me had an Otter fish house in the box, it was also pulling a car trailer, on that trailer was a Polaris side by side, that had a 4 door cab on it, on the front of it was a blade, it also had TRACKS on it. It was a sweet looking machine. :;:rockit.............................Did I mention it had TRACKS on it.;:;boozer

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
All makes and models have good things and bad things. Doesn't matter what brand they all break down. I won't knock other peoples machines as they bought them because they like them. We have had Polaris 4 wheelers for over 20 years and never had a problem with a belt. Have had Polaris SXS's now since 2012 and no problems there either. People that say they have belt problems more than likely don't stay in low range when they pull or are 15 mph or less. When just putzing around stay in low range if going to be above 15-20 mph you can do high range. Pretty simple but some just won't do it and then complain their belt is shot.
Power steering is a must and we have had it on our last 2 SXS's and wouldn't have one without it. Got a lot of grief from guys about it until they rode with us especially in the yard and trail riding in rocky conditions. When you catch a rock or tree stump the steering wheel doesn't spin on you and snap your fingers or wrist. You can steer with 1 finger with power steering too. If gradually gets less as you speed up. Slick deal and now all the ones that gave us grief have power steering on their SXS's. Don't know on a 4 wheel ATV how the power steering works but i would think the same way.
Polaris also has the turf mode in the Rangers and Generals and that is just 1 wheel driving in the rearend. Doesn't tear up the yard and easier on tires when riding on pavement or hard pack. They also have positraction and 4x4 so you can select from any one of the 3 modes. We do 90 % of our riding in turf mode. Even most trail riding. If we need posi or 4x4 we just hit the selector. Don't do it when your rear wheels are spinning just stop and select it and give a little throttle to make sure it is engaged and away you go. You will usually put it in 4x4 before you enter into something nasty.
SXS's are way more useful than ATV but each has their purpose. Once you go SXS you will wonder how you got along without it. Just like a skidsteer, once you have one you never want to get rid of it!
Polaris Ranger is probably best for around the farm and ice fishing. Can haul lots of stuff and seats 3 or crew cab seats 6 i believe.
Best price locally is Herreid, SD. He is the cheapest around other than Abernathy's in Union City, Tn. http://www.abernathycycles.com/
You won't find cheaper prices anywhere else than there.
Also if buying new your dealer should give 15% - 20% off on accessories at a minimum. If they don't tell them you are going elsewhere.
Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my Ranger. It's the cats ass, and even started today. 21 below out and she started.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys!! Great info on the different machines. Twould LOVE a SxS, but their price tag is a consideration. Been reading reviews online for the past 6 months 'til I'm about blue in the face with each machine having it's gold stars along with it's suck factors. EFI and Power steering have become a must have for me. Too many reviews from all across the country say the same things. Thanks Again for the insights!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you looked at other options in the utv category like the Kubota, Husqvarna, intimatador or John deere

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sxs are nice but have to be trailered to haul, atv can be driven into the back of a pickup, cab on sxs is dusty in the summer no matter what but definitely nice in the cold.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 158
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79