Extreme Cold weather gloves

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know if this was hashed out before, but I was going through my gloves and noticed I don't really have anything for extreme cold What do you guys have? Would like them to be for shooting and being out in the cold in general. Might have to invest in two pair if need to be....GO

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sitka incinerator mits. You can wear liners and pop them open to shoot. Warmest gloves I have owned

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I can be moving even a little and am shooting a rifle, Simms Ex-Stream gloves as they allow good trigger awareness.

If shotgunning or more stationary where I can quickly remove the glove, Manzella "Versatile" soft-shell windstopper/Primaloft gloves. (Don't need to remove them for shotgunning)

Completely stationary, windstopper glommets with merino or power stretch fleece liners and chemical hand warmers.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.northernoutfitters.com/northern-outfitters-arctic-mittens/

I picked these up for the old man last winter for the old man when he is sitting in the tree stand, they come with a tether rope that glove is attached to. Then he wears a lighter glove on the inside so when he pulls out his hand from the mitt he is not touching cold steel and the glove doesn't need to be set a side because of the tether. He like them a lot
Arctic_Mitten_%25282%2529__32835.1321706207.1280.1280.jpg

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Obviously haven't tried them all but have never found a glove that kept my hands warm in winter cold weather. Mittens are what I wear with a liner underneath that I can shoot with.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Liners are the key. I have a pair of merino wool liners and they work wonders. Without liners I'm in trouble.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure this will get hijacked knowing this crowd, but I tried on a pair of chopper type mittens that were made from beaver skin with the hair side in on the palm side and the hair side out on the top that came up to your elbow. Couldn't keep them on more than 30 seconds or so before my hands started to sweat. Always thought if you could machine an opening to get your trigger finger through when the moment of truth arrived, those would be the ultimate super cold weather hand protection. There are a couple artists that make custom fur gloves that I'm tempted to go out and trap a couple of them big water rats and have a pair or two made. Other than those, the old style choppers the military used to issue were the warmest thing I've had on my hands. Hope you find something that works for you. Cold hands and/or feet really increases the suck factor on a winter outing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure this will get hijacked knowing this crowd, but I tried on a pair of chopper type mittens that were made from beaver skin with the hair side in on the palm side and the hair side out on the top that came up to your elbow. Couldn't keep them on more than 30 seconds or so before my hands started to sweat. Always thought if you could machine an opening to get your trigger finger through when the moment of truth arrived, those would be the ultimate super cold weather hand protection. There are a couple artists that make custom fur gloves that I'm tempted to go out and trap a couple of them big water rats and have a pair or two made. Other than those, the old style choppers the military used to issue were the warmest thing I've had on my hands. Hope you find something that works for you. Cold hands and/or feet really increases the suck factor on a winter outing.

So to cut to the chase, at the moment of truth you want an opening to poke something through the beaver fur? And you also believe this will keep you warm long term? Seems legit.

Last edited:

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, I second the beaver! Haha, all jokes aside, beaver mittens have been the warmest glove I have ever worn, hands down. Don't own a pair but had the privilege of using them for a good part of a day on a very cold trapping excursion.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85