Remington 700VTR

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have one of these, or shot one?
Are they accurate and is that muzzle break as load as a normal muzzle brake?
Kind of interested in .223 or .260.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother in law and I have identical ones in 22-250. I haven't shot a ton through mine. Farthest on a bench set up would be about 450 yards and for an amateur like myself I would say it was accurate. Can't compare to others with a muzzle break but it doesn't seem loud to me. Overall I like the gun.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on your budget, I would also consider the 5r Gen 2. Have it in .308 and it's definitely a shooter!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe there was a similar thread a while back you may want to search. My father inlaw has one in .308 and I was very intersted in getting one. Cant remember exactly what changed my mind. Possibly I just got inpatient when they were out of stock due to the trigger recall. I do know some have had to modify the stock to get decent accuracy somthing about it rubbing the barrel.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have good enough out of box accuracy for me farthest I have shot is probably 350ish yards, I haven't shot mine a whole lot though. The stock is junk, but I haven't no problems with mine touching the barrel to cause accuracy problems. The muzzle break definitely makes the gun louder, if I did it over I wouldn't buy one due to the fact of the muzzle break does a guy really need a muzzle break on a 22-250 maybe if you get a larger caliber it will make a difference, but not sure how much of difference it makes on a 22-250.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one in 308 it shot OK. I turned it in a 6.5 creedmoor that shoots way better. I would by an SOS or what ever is cheapest in 700 line a stock and trigger forget the triangle bbl. If some one is looking I got a triangle .308 bbl I will sell cheap

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on your budget, I would also consider the 5r Gen 2. Have it in .308 and it's definitely a shooter!

Unlike hit and miss I don't know own of a 5r that didn't shoot good. My brother and his son have identified 223 with Nightforce scopes. My nephew also has a 5r in 300 Win Mag.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW; It's easier/cheaper to produce a faceted bbl.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the fist one that was available in 223 and love it. Its one of those guns you can beat the crap outta it and it comes back for more. I'm a bolt action guy so I went with VTR cause; its short and compact as you can get. It shot good outta the box and I know I have @ least 500+ rounds though it still performing well. Mine never had a trigger recall but it is set very light. The muzzle break definitely makes the gun loud if your standing off to the sides. Its one of my favorite bench shooting guns. Very accurate, almost no kick and just fun to shoot.

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad had one in .308, in which i was the one that always shot it. It was okay. It says it is a 22" barrel, true but there is no rifling in the last 2 inches due to the muzzle brake. Therefore it is a 20" barrel. With the .308 it was a 1:10 twist, however with a barrel as short as it was it needed the 1:10 just to push 178 grain amax through it decently. My SPS .308 has 26" barrel and will push 190 grain better IMO. The muzzle brake did reduce muzzle jump but felt recoil reduction was debatable. Normal X-mark trigger, and simple lug receiver. You can buy a sps at cabelas for 399 right now, get the muzzle threaded for a brake, and add a different stock and still be under 700 if you wanted to customize one for yourself. Just my two cents. My dad ended up trading his off after we put a decent number of rounds through it. But some guns are also lemons, we may have just got one of them. Good luck and let us know what you decide and some feedback.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69