Propane Smokers

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the market for a new propane smoker. Want to go larger in the 40" range. Was hoping to find a double walled or insulated one for winter use, but not having much luck. Anyone have suggestions?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can you control the heat on a propane smoker, i had one a few years ago and it was only controlled by turning the knob, not by thermostat. Not the best for controlling heat temp. If they have improved that I would again be interested. Without, i'd go electric.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most have a thermostat on them now but I also use the probe to watch my temps. But yes, you regulate the heat much like you do with a gas grill. It's tough to get a even smoke job sometimes with electric, particularly with wet meat like sausage. I like the propane when you need to dry things down a bit before putting the smoke to them.

406Joe

Tried posting a link, but since I'm a FNG...........guess I have to BS for 5 posts before I can put a link.

- - - Updated - - -

Smoke house products makes a nice propane smoker. I have the standard model, but have thought the wide model would be nice (don't have to cut racks of ribs in half). Don't have to worry about outside temps/wind, with this smoker. Local distributor sells a 3 year supply of chips, for about the same price of one bag of Traeger pellets. I also have a Cabela's brand pellet smoker, that has it's time and place.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried posting a link, but since I'm a FNG...........guess I have to BS for 5 posts before I can put a link.

- - - Updated - - -

Smoke house products makes a nice propane smoker. I have the standard model, but have thought the wide model would be nice (don't have to cut racks of ribs in half). Don't have to worry about outside temps/wind, with this smoker. Local distributor sells a 3 year supply of chips, for about the same price of one bag of Traeger pellets. I also have a Cabela's brand pellet smoker, that has it's time and place.

That's exactly the line/brand I'm looking at. Great information. Thank-you!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it's Smoke Hollow that I'm looking at. Is that what you have?

406Joe

If you search smokehouseproducts dot com You'll see. Sorry, site won't let me post the actual link. It's the same brand that makes the electric smoke chief smokers. I'm really happy with mine, except I have to cut ribs and brisket in half, in order to fit. The wide model seems to fit the bill. Jerome Dist. here in Dickinson sells Hickory chips that work really well in this smoker. 40 # bag for $20.00. Last bag lasted me 3 years, and we use the he** out of the smoker.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74