Shout Out to KDM and other Cocker Spaniel Fans

Big C

Greetings

Newbie here and joined to ask KDM or other cocker spaniel owners/fans about the breed. Herc looks like a great dog and you have shared some impressive stories of your young dog. I have enjoyed hunting over a few different spaniels in my day, and other breeds. I noticed in your recent pictures that Herc does not have any snowballs in his feet or coat. That has been a problem in my spaniels. Are those staged photos after the hunt? Does he not get snow balls in his feet/coat? Or do you put something on his coat to keep them out?

Currently looking for next spaniel and thinking of going the cocker route.

Thanks for any advice.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck is a hot bed for English Cockers. Tom Ness started it.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are good little dogs. I picked up my last one from Absolute Gun dogs just out of Bismarck. Tom Ness has Oahe Kennels out of Menoken as well.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Greetings Big C and Welcome!! If you look closely at the pics from my thread "Bragging about Herc" or some such, you can see he has the usual snow balls on his hair. He was absolutely covered in them, but after each walk, I do my best to clear up the ones that affect his movement. Mostly in the arm pits, throat, and groin area. I bring a stiff comb to help break'em up. He usually clears his feet on his own and when he stops to pull the ice off his feet, I wait until HE is ready to go again. Sometimes that takes a few minutes, but when he's ready, off he goes. When we get home, he usually goes in a warm shower to melt the ice off and warm him up. He doesn't seem to mind much. LOL!! I don't put anything on him like oils and I don't trim his feet. He doesn't seem to need it as far as I can tell. I don't like to shave him as his hair is his only armor against the wire fences, sticks, and other hazards in the field. As far as a breeder, Herc is from Absolute Gun Dogs in Bismarck and he is quick when it comes to training. I wish I could claim that I trained him to be such a great hunting companion, but the truth is, HE trained himself. He's whistle trained and hand signal trained and it took him about an hour to get both of those down. I figure he got his brains from his pedigree as he sure didn't get it from me. He's smarter than I am and his instincts are amazing. Herc is my first English Cocker, so my opinions are based on a single dog and not of any particular note. However, I can tell you that Herc has enriched my outdoor experience beyond my wildest expectations and I will probably have one for as long as I chase pheasants. I chose an English Cocker after I was privileged to hunt over a fantastic pair of them a few times by a fellow NDA'er so I know Herc's traits aren't unique among his breed. As much as I hate to bad mouth my pup, he's NOT without his limitations. With this deep snow and iced up cover, he has some difficulty getting through the thicker stuff. He's just not big enough to "power" his way through some of the heavier stuff and when he gets wet from the snow falling on his back, he gets cold so I watch'em real close when we're out. He also has some trouble when he falls through the snow cover as he kind of gets stuck sometimes in the hole he makes in the cattails. Hope that helps a bit and Good Luck with your search for a gun dog!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are good little dogs. I picked up my last one from Absolute Gun dogs just out of Bismarck. Tom Ness has Oahe Kennels out of Menoken as well.

Throw Glencoe kennels (Paul McGagh) in that mix as well.

Big C

Thanks for the feedback.

Looking between an American Water Spaniel and Cocker right now.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
To add to KDM's post, their size has pluses and minuses. When in the house, traveling and as a pet their size is an asset. You don't have a 50-90 pound dog running around like a bull in a China store and feeding costs along with waste clean up is reduced. In the field it can be both an asset and a detriment. When cover is thick, without under tunnels, they aren't going to bust through it like a larger dog. If you have brush or cattails that the birds or other animals have made under tunnels of sorts, it can be an asset because they can barrel through the under areas that a large dog could not. I've found it is ideal to hunt with a buddy that has a larger breed, so you can get the best of both worlds on a hunt. With the right breeding, their drive to hunt is very good and when they are young and not overweight they are hard to wear out. I'm on my third one and grew up with another(also group of friends have owned a few more). I will say breeding does play a large role on hunting drive and build of the dog so don't try to cheap out. Happy shopping.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80