Minnkota Ulterra

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw the snow, I am already thinking of open water season.

Along that line, I "need" a new electric trolling motor. The new Ulterra from Minnkota looks pretty sweet with its auto-deploy and store feature. Anyone running one of these yet that can let me know if they are worth it for that feature.

In particular, I already am running an I-Pilot after upgrading an old Powerdrive, but there are times where getting up into the bow to deploy or store the trolling motor is a pain (kids, etc). So the auto-deploy and store is a nifty little feature if it has proven to be dependable. Plus, if it does go out, can you still manually deploy and store the motor?

Thanks!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get it and don't look back. I am running one right now. I have lower back issues, this thing to me is worth it's weight in gold. No more sore back after a day on the water. Plus I do believe it is safer in high waves not leaning over the bow messing with the trolling motor. Not sure about the manual part. I guess I haven't even checked to see if I can do that if the auto deploy/stow goes out.

It also has a trim feature, which is nice. Not always needed, but certain times I've found it to be pretty useful(shallow water/weeds)

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen,

If the Ulterra malfunctions you can manually stow it; however it is renedered useless and needs to go back to a repair shop before it can be used again. I have heard of VERY few issues with the Ulterra.

The Terrova got a lipstick makeover. Easier "lift assist" stow and deploy which reportedly can be done with 2 fingers. Also, the spot lock feature is improved so it is less like "area lock".

I just put in my order for my next boat build and went Terrova for the above reasons and the 72 inch shaft option.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one but only got to use it for a couple months last summer, but so far I like it. I can't remember if you can do both deploy or store it if you lose power but I know you can do one...think you can store it. I have the instructions on how to do it in the boat if that day ever comes. One thing I do not care for is that it's hard wired in...at least mine is. They are pretty slick though.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished with a guy that had one, it was sweet. He fishes by himself a lot and I can see in that situation how it would be even nicer.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crap, and I suppose you guys are going to make me go through the heartache of starting a GoFundMe campaign instead of just sending V a check in my name.

I'd heard they had issues early on in the product run with software, but haven't heard anything bad lately other than the sticker shock.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
The improved spot-lock and the ability to jog while in spot-lock would be reason enough for me to get the Terrova. I can't imagine they wouldn't carry this over to the Ulterra, however.

I am seriously considering selling my current Terrova to get the updated one. I really want the ability to jog positions while in spot-lock. The speed of turning in also a lot faster with the new Terrova, much like the Ulterra--that thing turns FAST!

The jog was my favorite feature when I tried out the Motorguide, but not having some sort of display to show speed settings really bummed me out.

JCNodak

Honored Member
After reading this topic I emailed Minnkota to see if the upgraded Ipilot is compatible with 2016 models and prior and it is not.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading this topic I emailed Minnkota to see if the upgraded Ipilot is compatible with 2016 models and prior and it is not. My spot lock performs horribly.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want spot lock on a terrova the best thing you could do is tie a rope to the piece of shit and drop it to the bottom as an anchor.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The spot lock on my V2 is pretty good. The spot lock on my Terrova was junk at first, but improved a lot with the software upgrade.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on my second terrova for the year and it's no better than the first. For Allen's question on the ulterra I have 3 friends with them and two of them have had issues with the 72 inch models. The one with the 60 has been solid though. I do think they may be somewhat sensitive to lots of vibration and jarring as both with issues run there boats very hard in rough water and leave them unsecured during travel. I can tell you not having to pull in the trolling motor when the wind is blowing and the lake is rolling is pretty sweet. I was given the option to upgrade but opted out because I was worried about the ulterra freezing during early spring and late fall.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had an Ulterra on the boat I bought and sold it.
Get the new ultrex instead or a terrova.
My buddy sells a bunch of trolling motors and also said they get Ulterras back all the time with crap wrong with them. That and the fact that you lose almost a foot of shaft because of the self deploying mechanism. So in even not so big waves your trolling motor is bobbing in and out of the water and I hate that.
That Ultrex looks like a pretty sweet outfit but its pricey. I also hear allot of good things about motorguides but I've never used one myself.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do I get the software upgrade?

You have to run it through a Humminbird unit. You can download it from Minn-kota's web site depending on your serial #. I would call Minn-kota/Johnson outdoors first.

- - - Updated - - -

Had an Ulterra on the boat I bought and sold it.
Get the new ultrex instead or a terrova.
My buddy sells a bunch of trolling motors and also said they get Ulterras back all the time with crap wrong with them. That and the fact that you lose almost a foot of shaft because of the self deploying mechanism. So in even not so big waves your trolling motor is bobbing in and out of the water and I hate that.
That Ultrex looks like a pretty sweet outfit but its pricey. I also hear allot of good things about motorguides but I've never used one myself.

Can't be all bad.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to run it through a Humminbird unit. You can download it from Minn-kota's web site depending on your serial #. I would call Minn-kota/Johnson outdoors first.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't be all bad.

when your using a short shaft to start with, every inch counts. so I've heard...

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
When motor guide gets the self-deploying trolling motor to the market, minnkota should throw in the towel. I don't feel the need to have a self deploying model in that I'm not disabled. Plus, I like the rush of crawling along the bow of the boat to avoid being thrown overboard.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
When motor guide gets the self-deploying trolling motor to the market, minnkota should throw in the towel. I don't feel the need to have a self deploying model in that I'm not disabled. Plus, I like the rush of crawling along the bow of the boat to avoid being thrown overboard.

Easy when your made of Busch Light and muscle whilst wearing your Miami Vice textiles.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member

If my new boat didn't have the Ulterra on it I would not have gone out and purchased it. I had a V2 prior, and that thing had a mind of its own some days. Have had no issues to speak of with the Ulterra.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75