An idiot's guide to pickled pike (and the best tasting)

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. fill a 1 or 2 qt jar with raw pike chunks. (I recommend all of the red & dark meat be removed for better flavor)

2. add 2 tblspn of salt

3. add 2 tblspn sugar

4. cut up and add 1 onion

5. add 2 tblspn pickling spice ( I recommend putting it into one of those spice balls or bags so the bits and pieces don't stick to the fish)

6. fill jar with white vinegar and put the lid on.

7. put it in the fridge, shake jar twice a day for 5 days and its ready.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I will be trying this. I have yet to make good pickled northern.

Attachments

IMG_2718.jpg IMG_3629.jpg IMG_1326.jpg

Skoalongcut

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best pickled fish recipe I have ever tried. From the master.

The Silver Satin pickled fish recipe.
Brine: ½ cup salt (Not iodized) to 1 quart water. Place fillets of fish in crock with brine for 24hrs. Cut fillets into squares approximately one inch by one inch. Cover completely. Drain brine after 24 hours. Cover with white vinegar for 12 hours. Drain off vinegar and throw away. Pack fish in jars and add raw onion slices alternating layers. Add enough pickling solution to cover fish and then cover the jars.

Pickling Solution: 4 cups white vinegar, 3 cups sugar, 1 cup silver satin wine or Barefoot, 2 raw onions, sliced fine, ¼ cup pickling spice.

Method: Dissolve sugar in white vinegar. Heat, then cool. (Do not boil) Add silver satin, onion s and pickling spice. Bring to a boil then cool.

Substitute for Silver Satin wine: Barefoot Moscato and Barefoot Riesling are both high quality products, taste the same. If you're going to drink it do so straight, warm, and out of a paper bag. Mmm.

Amount of Fish: a batch of it would be good for 6-8 pounds of pike. I usually take out a gallon freezer bag full of fillets for one batch. I bet that would be around 8-10 quart jars. I use lots of onion… lots and lots.

Cleaning & cutting fish: Other important thing is to make sure the pieces of fish are cut to a size you like. I’ve made some too small people didn’t like and I’ve cut pieces too big that people didn’t like. If you get that middle lateral line of the pike that is fat, make sure to dispose of it. Bones will dissolve in the solution.

Added heat: pickled chili peppers and the juice for added heat. The little yellow ones are good.

Pickled fish MUST be frozen before it is pickled. The freezing process kills off any bacteria that might not be good for a person.
Refrigerate for one week before eating.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used the one skoal posted. The taste is just right. I really have issues with texture with pickled fish though so for my next batch I think I will go with smaller chunks and maybe another fresh vinegar bath during the prep. It amazed me how firm the pike got as the recipe goes, just still not quite enough for me even. I'm rarely picky about food but something about that texture gets me. I'm going to try MSA's recipe also, something that easy why the heck not?

Attachments

-01.jpg HORNETS1.JPG 41st_EC-130.01.jpg 3SHIP2KI.JPG 4SHIPW5T.JPG BREN-TBI.JPG P15&VIP1.JPG 16_5115A.JPG WAATS_Cobra-01.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75