Bill proposed for Crossbow Hunting

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarc...oosen-crossbow-hunting-restrictions/636417996

Bow Hunting is a passion for many in North Dakota. While the use of crossbows is allowed for the disabled with a note from a doctor, this new senate bill is trying to push for people aged 65 and older.
"In my particular case, I need one," says David Monsebroten.

Bow hunting is tradition for Monsebraten. He isn't able to shoot a regular bow anymore and can no longer hunt with his family.

He says, "I know it's possible to get those permits through the doctor. And my whole goal in this is just to try to make things easier for those who are 65 and older."

The North Dakota Bowhunter's Association, understands David's struggle. They helped put in place the disability bill.

Bill Helphrey, a spokesperson for the association said, "That law is in place, it's there now. I think a person could just use that. We just don't need to put a blanket coverage on anybody saying once you reach age 65, you're automatically handicapped."

Helphrey is mainly concerned for the deer population. By making crossbows (Legal) for more people, more deer would be killed.

"I think anything we do to increase the ability to harvest deer is going to be detrimental to that population," said Helphrey.

Senator Ron Sorvaag is behind the crossbow bill. While he's not a hunter himself, he feels for those like Monsebroten.

Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I totally support this. Give someone of the age the option to choose a cross bow or standard. For the Helphrey character, not sure you would see a total decimation of the deer population by any additional crossbows. I think this would account for a very small percentage of additional tags being filled. Bow hunting, with a cross bow or traditional bow, is still bow hunting. Still need to get into an affective range, 30 yards for most, and make an ethical kill. So if a crossbow gives someone age 65 and older the option to still enjoy the outdoors while bow hunting, and helps make an ethical kill, I say go for it.

What are the thoughts from the peanut gallery on this?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup me too , I say cut our old timers a little slack. I'm happy we have youth seasons too.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep me too. My dad would love to bow hunt but doesn't feel capable with his bow anymore.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm kind of for it but yet at times I feel that if they can't pull a bow back anymore due to age, can't they go to a doctor and have the form filled out to get a crossbow permit.

I'd rather they just allow crossbows in the archery season for anyone regardless of age.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bill Helphrey has been the lobbyist or spokesperson for the Bow Hunters Association much too long. Old codger needs to go. He's against everything. What ever they're paying him is WAY too much.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figure this is the first step to getting crossbow usage in ND legalized. Start with the seniors and see how the deer population handles it. Then add the ladies and the youth and see how that goes. Followed by the outright legalization for all. To me, the more folks heading into the field is a good thing for sportsmen.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think it will make much of a differnce but I dont care for it to much. It gives a select group a unneeded advantage on the premise of disability. To me it reeks of incrementalism. Thanks GST! Its nothing agaist seniors. I would support giving an extra weekend to a certain age group or even guaranteeing a certain age a tag. It would have to be older like 72 or 75. If I were 65 I would be more offended by the fact thieir saying im automatically disabled at 65. Shit, no offense but im pretty sure plainsman has had several anniversaries of his 65 bday and at least recently was shooting a recurve.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they should all get permits to shoot from the car as well. Oh.. Some allready think they do!

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I screwed up my shoulder last week end and hope it heals up. I have a 52 lb custom longbow that needs to bite venison. I'm sure I don't need a crossbow yet, but I would buy one to play with if I could shoot it when I am 80. Got to think positive Right?
I don't need it, but I would be OK with it. I don't think it would change a tenth of one percent the archery take. Since it would hurt nothing it would be a kind thing for the old geezers. Oh ya, that's me.
Oh yes I do have a recurve too. Shoot my Mathew's for hunting 75% of the time. Practice traditional 90% of the time. I think I screwed up my shoulder doing 50 rounds of 75 lb in ten minutes.

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think it will make much of a differnce but I dont care for it to much. It gives a select group a unneeded advantage on the premise of disability. To me it reeks of incrementalism. Thanks GST! Its nothing agaist seniors. I would support giving an extra weekend to a certain age group or even guaranteeing a certain age a tag. It would have to be older like 72 or 75. If I were 65 I would be more offended by the fact thieir saying im automatically disabled at 65. Shit, no offense but im pretty sure plainsman has had several anniversaries of his 65 bday and at least recently was shooting a recurve.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they should all get permits to shoot from the car as well. Oh.. Some allready think they do!

Now you're catching on.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I screwed up my shoulder last week end and hope it heals up. I have a 52 lb custom longbow that needs to bite venison. I'm sure I don't need a crossbow yet, but I would buy one to play with if I could shoot it when I am 80. Got to think positive Right?
I don't need it, but I would be OK with it. I don't think it would change a tenth of one percent the archery take. Since it would hurt nothing it would be a kind thing for the old geezers. Oh ya, that's me.
Oh yes I do have a recurve too. Shoot my Mathew's for hunting 75% of the time. Practice traditional 90% of the time. I think I screwed up my shoulder doing 50 rounds of 75 lb in ten minutes.

Just out of curiousity at your age you have your bow set at 75 lbs?????

Holy, I better start being a little nicer or I'll get my ass kicked.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
70 years old and hope to hunt with my Mathews for a few more years. Tore my rotary cup two years ago. I am scare when I start pulling that bow back for another tear and I sure do not want to go through that again. But shooting with a bow seems a lot more to it than a crossbow. Just like shooting with a flintlock versus an inline.
i am sure with a visit which I may do I can easily get the doctor permit. Fine with the law the way it is. But I feel I have turn the screw down enough on the weight and one day will go the crossbow way. Db

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a brother- in-law and friend who got the permit years ago. Both stated they really did not deserve the doctors permit but just wanted to hunt with the crossbow due the advantage they felt it gave them over a bow. So not that hard to get now. Db

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't really care for it. At a time when a large number of gun hunters are forced to sit out the season,(no tag) adding to the number of bowhunters doesn't seem to make sense. maybe make it a shorter season for them or a one-deer system.

Is this type of stuff (special rules for special people) just hunting's version of "every kid gets a trophy"?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys worry about deer being killed how about address the elephant in the room. Gun season during the rut. A few more old people with cross bows mean nothing .

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just out of curiousity at your age you have your bow set at 75 lbs????

No I have a bow trainer that I go up to 85lb on
My bow is set at 60, but I shoot a lot better if I work out heavy. I draw and hold to the count of ten while watching TV. I was pushing it the other night and did to many to fast. Dumb.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys worry about deer being killed how about address the elephant in the room. Gun season during the rut. A few more old people with cross bows mean nothing .

hunting the rut is so fun though. love watching them rutted up mulies. want my cake and eat it too, thanks Thumbs Up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75