7.62x39 in an AR?

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are your guys thoughts? I bought one online on Black Friday super cheap ($269 with bcg & charging handle). I have already found out about the light primer strikes on steel cased ammo because the primers are seated too deep. I have since bought the enhanced firing pin and heavy duty trigger spring and it still wont fire steel cased ammo. I've YouTubed it where they file down the shoulder of the firing pin but I am reluctant to try that because I don't feel safe doing that. I've seen videos of instances where people have done that and have had rounds go off when they jack a shell in. When I run the brass cased stuff like fiocchie where the primers are somewhat flush, it runs like a boss; and seems to be more accurate than I thought it would be. Either way, I dig it even if I have to run better ammo thru it.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built one a few month ago and shooting the cheap Wolf 123gr FMJ. I can shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yds all day. I am amazed how good it shoots. I shot a Coyote at just over 250 yds last week with the 127 gr HP.I shot thru it right behind the shoulder with very little damage

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's funny, because the appeal of 300 blk was that it gave you something ballistically similar to 7.62x39 but you could stick with your existing brass, mags, and bolt. 7.62x39 is not particularly friendly to the AR platform. Likewise, 5.56/223 has not been friendly to the AK platform.

Whether you're putting an AK round in an AR or an AR round in an AK, the trick is this: it's best to have someone pretty bright designing the gun or it's not going to work. Smart people and their machinery cost money. You can put an AK round in an AR, but if you want it to function reliably you're going to end up spending money.

Truth be told, we have a lot of crazy machinery run by computer programs now and I
Think there will eventually be cheap, reliable, accurate 7.62x39 ARs but it's still a few years out.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have shot my 7.62 x 39 close to 150 rounds without a single issue. I just wanted something different. And that is what I got. Yes a 300 blk out is pretty much the same performance wise but everyone has one. And I had over 1000 rds to shoot up. Making it a cheap rifle to shoot.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
wby257, did you have to put in an enhanced firing pin? If so, what is the overall length of the pin. Mine WILL Not fire Wolf's.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am using the firing pin that came with the bolt. I did read what problems people were having. But have not experienced that problem. I did notice there could be a feed issue with the 20 rd mags so only put in 17-18 rds and never a problem.

Thriller1

Take your barrel off and reset it in the upper. You could have a headspace issue.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77