Gas four a yamaha 4 stroke

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wondering what gas everyone is runiing in thier 4 stroke motors. I have always run Yamaha HPDI but recently bought a second boat that has a 4s on it

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always run the best I can find. That's 91 in towner. I run a suzuki 4s.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would run premium if an option when filling a little more expensive but better gas and last longer before it starts to break down.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just run whatever is cheap. It is important to always add Yamaha ring free additive to each tank. I have ran this way for the last 7 years and not a problem.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
NON ethanol 91 octane if at all possible. If in an area we absolutely need gas I search out anything non ethanol and only run ethanol as a last resort and only what I know I can burn out asap. Run this in all of my vehicles as well and small engines. I used to run 89 ethanol in everything until about 2 years ago and no matter the brand had issues with every single small engine carb I owned and found it was the gas going bad within weeks causing carb issues, switched to 91 premium in everything and all issues disappeared.

Talked with several small engine guys and they tell everyone to run nothing but non ethanol gas and 91 premium if it will not be used within a month.

Ethanol goes bad and starts to deteriorate within a month.
Lower octane non ethanol has 60-90 day shelf life.
premium has to by mandate be good for a 1 year shelf life.
I know of a lot of people in the aviation and municipalities who add a mixture of avgas to regular gass to extend the life indefinitely as avgas has a higher mandate against deterioration and moisture absorbtion and lasts a very long time.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
try to avoid ethanol if at all possible. ring free is of no benefit on a four stroke. it's designed to prevent ring sticking on two stoke outboards. especially non DFI outboards. I would recommend running sea foam at least a few times over the summer and for sure the last time out in the fall. the stuff is amazing.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't try any E85 as that stuff will leave you stranded in a hurry

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
try to avoid ethanol if at all possible. ring free is of no benefit on a four stroke. it's designed to prevent ring sticking on two stoke outboards. especially non DFI outboards. I would recommend running sea foam at least a few times over the summer and for sure the last time out in the fall. the stuff is amazing.
Must be why Yamaha recommends it in both two and four stroke motors. Several mechanics I have talked to also highly recommend using ring free. It is a fuel additive that prevents carbon build up and helps to keep fuel from deteriorating. If you think four strokes can't get carbon build up, I don't know what to tell you. It really helps with the fuel running through the kicker.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
They say nonethanol in the highest octane possible. I run 91 with 10% ethanol and treat every other tank with startron and seafoam. No problems here!

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
At gosh without ethanol would be my choice. Have you seen what ethanol can do to a fuel line, not pretty.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must be why Yamaha recommends it in both two and four stroke motors. Several mechanics I have talked to also highly recommend using ring free. It is a fuel additive that prevents carbon build up and helps to keep fuel from deteriorating. If you think four strokes can't get carbon build up, I don't know what to tell you. It really helps with the fuel running through the kicker.
it's because they want to sell it lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69