Question on snells

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Over the last 7 years in the winter I have a little time on my hands so I tie up 3 to 4 hundred snells per winter. I put them in little 3X3 plastic bags and then into quart ziplocks as per size or color or line weight. They are then put into a large backpack for travel. Question is do you think some of the first ones I made should have new line? I use mostly Trilene 8,10,and 12 # test line XL. They are never out in the sun much and if they are used they go into what I call the recycle bag. I take them apart and use the parts to make new ones. I am diabetic and have lost the feeling in my fingers and feet. Tying up new snells in the boat is dam near impossible. So what do you guys think? If I lost that wall hanger at the boat that would suck.;:;rofl

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have your solution... fish enough every year so you use up all 400 and won't have to worry bout the line getting old...

no charge...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not very good at this computer stuff, hope you got my reply DC.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say if they are out of the sun. They should be fine give them a good once over and make sure the line is good on them. If it's turning yellow I would replace.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say if they are out of the sun. They should be fine give them a good once over and make sure the line is good on them. If it's turning yellow I would replace.

Agreed, also sometimes when the sun has gotten at them they'll turn an opaque white instead of they're normal clearish white.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
XT is some very resilient stuff when kept out of the sun it will last a very long time. Just give it a quick pull test and you will be good to go.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last batch of spinner harnesses I tied up I used Seaguar Red Label in 17 lb test. Pike seem to have a little tougher time biting through this stuff.#$%^&>

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

This^^^ and what SDMF mentioned. Sunlight puts a beat down on mono line.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do the pull test to see if the line is still good. If it passes that I use it. I have used some old line that works fine as long as it doesn't sit in the sun.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fluorocarbon (Seaguar, etc). Extremely inert and resistant to sun/oxidation. Good 20 yrs from now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76