If the winter doesnt kill the deer the coyotes will

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I took a friend bowhunting last night in one of my blinds as I shot a buck on Friday afternoon. We set up about 3 pm and a few minutes here comes 3 fawns running within 5 yds of the blind and the last one is hamstringed bleeding badly. In a half hour we hear a distress scream from another deer and coyotes going crazy about 400 yds away. Just before dark we hear another deer in distress scream and coyotes going nuts. That is 3 deer they killed/maimed in just a few hours.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read an article about northern minnesota deer population being decimated by wolves, some farmers were feeding the deer which caused mass killing of herds as many as 60 in matter of a few months. They said the wolves having such easy pickens rather than feeding on a dead frozen carcass continued to kill live deer. I can see this a problem here as well, do those who kill coyotes for sport trap in areas that hold large deer herds.
if not the NDGF could help deer survival my baiting coyotes with poisoned meat, this is done on the on SLIR with wild dogs and coyotes they bait them with poisoned meat. Which shows because I did a section breakdown in a heavily wooded area that we had to walk into which showed highways of deer tracks as wells seeing multiple groups of deer running ahead of us. A couple different spots where the deer had bedded for the night showed 7 to 12 deer had been there. That was just one section with only a few tracks of coyotes or dogs in that areas as well.
I should of carried a gun I was lucky one of those does didn't attack me, I could've been hurt. The crazy thing is those deer have it made not a deer stand in site out there.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/01/16/should-you-feed-deer-in-the-winter/

Correction 40 deer in one week according to this article

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wrong with deer dying in the winter.

People feed them, and deer that should have died (genetically inferior deer) survive and breed. Makes the whole population weaker.
Survival of the fittest.

You kill a bunch of Coyotes, they have bigger litters the next year.

Nature is way better at this game than humans are.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member

People feed them, and deer that should have died (genetically inferior deer) survive and breed. Makes the whole population weaker.
Survival of the fittest.

I used to think the same about coyotes but after killing 79 last year and 60 the year before I don't see that many around my place, I had 40+ by this time last year and now my dead pole still has a lot of room on it. This is all in about a 10 mile radius, granted I can't get into my spots very quiet this year but my dead piles aren't getting hammered like in years before so they have been thinned out a bit.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Survival of the fittest.

I know the way of the coyote, as I grew up hunting, trapping, and snaring them for the past 30 years. I only posted to share the experience with others and to demonstrate how many deer they kill. It is nature taking its course but predator control/management is good for prey and good for the predator. The BS you see on Marty Stauffer about the coyotes and wolves only killing the weak and old is about as big of lie as I have heard in my life. Coyotes are opportunists and I have watched them kill healthy deer if they run them in deep snow.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Survival of the fittest.

I sure that analogy may work in an environment that has an even playing field between predator and prey but this is not the case of herds of deer with does who are perfectly healthy and pregnant. When you have areas that have 3 plus feet of snow for 100s of square miles deer have a disadvantage.

I don't understand your ideas of less coyotes produce bigger litters, if there are less coyotes in an area how can they produce bigger litters if there is none. Use the wolf as an example to this statement.

Years of overharvesting as well as removing of natural habitat had caused wolves at one time to be almost extinct in northern Minnesota now you have a problem not with wolves but with moose numbers. When you take away an animal's natural habitat that gives them a disadvantage over predators who can pick off perfectly health deer that would have survived had they found suitable habitation.

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure that analogy may work in an environment that has an even playing field between predator and prey but this is not the case of herds of deer with does who are perfectly healthy and pregnant. When you have areas that have 3 plus feet of snow for 100s of square miles deer have a disadvantage.

I don't understand your ideas of less coyotes produce bigger litters, if there are less coyotes in an area how can they produce bigger litters if there is none. Use the wolf as an example to this statement.

Years of overharvesting as well as removing of natural habitat had caused wolves at one time to be almost extinct in northern Minnesota now you have a problem not with wolves but with moose numbers. When you take away an animal's natural habitat that gives them a disadvantage over predators who can pick off perfectly health deer that would have survived had they found suitable habitation.

I've read that to control the population of coyotes you need to remove 60% of the population every year for 5 years. If you miss one year you have to start over. They increase their litter size to compensate for the ones removed. Look it up its proven. Fox don't do this so the population of fox can be thinned quicker.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They won't reduce coyote populations.
Research suggests that when aggressively controlled, coyotes can increase their reproductive rate by breeding at an earlier age and having larger litters, with a higher survival rate among young. This allows coyote populations to quickly bounce back, even when as much as 70 percent of their numbers are removed.
It is nearly impossible to completely eradicate coyotes from an area. Despite bounties and large-scale efforts to kill coyotes over the last 100 years, coyotes have in fact expanded their range throughout the U.S. and Canada tremendously. One study even found that killing 75 percent of a coyote population every year for 50 years would still not exterminate the population.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animal...coyotes.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

wow so killing coyotes has no benefit on protection of deer other than survival of the fittest, also now we see a new predator coming from the east through canada the coywolf. Also if someone would pay me 100 dollars on the round I would definitely try to do my best.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I hunt deer for a reason but kill coyote with the goal of killing them all and if there was no monies would leave them lay were they die. As a kid there were no coyotes and a bunch of rabbits.
In another words I hate coyotes and see no need for them.
have one with mange and have not seen that for away so maybe.
Maybe killing a coyote will not help the deer but there is still one less mouth eating and breeding. Db

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thermal scopes might be able to put a dent in the coyote population. (Grin)

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've read that to control the population of coyotes you need to remove 60% of the population every year for 5 years. If you miss one year you have to start over. They increase their litter size to compensate for the ones removed. Look it up its proven. Fox don't do this so the population of fox can be thinned quicker.

Coyotes don't mystically have larger litters because the population is lower. The theory/myth has been around for years. The truth is when there is a lower population of coyotes in an area there is not as much competition for food hence there is more available prey food therefore the breeding female and her mate are in better body condition. This will biologically encourage the female to have more pups. The next step in population rebounding by a larger litter born is a the litter will have a lower mortality rate because the mother produces more milk and there is more food available in their area because of less competition. This is well proven research by biologists and trapping community alike. When environmental conditions are poor and/or female coyotes body condition is stressed or in poor condition she will not breed or will not raise a larger litter of pups. Mammals can also absorb fetuses during pregnancy when conditions are poor.

The NDGF believed up until 20 years ago that coyotes didn't kill adult deer because they were not physically able.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of an interesting documentary on PBS right now about coyotes and wolves...carry on.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats why we need to take as many out as we can, so get out there and put lead in those stinky sob's....I'm trying to get out and do my part but my gun is not ready and I'm getting real itchy about it too........lol

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yotes are very easy to take out.... you just have to be willing to break a few laws and place a few treated deed deer in hiden place and load then up with chemicals your yote numbers will drop quickly.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the way of the coyote, as I grew up hunting, trapping, and snaring them for the past 30 years. I only posted to share the experience with others and to demonstrate how many deer they kill. It is nature taking its course but predator control/management is good for prey and good for the predator. The BS you see on Marty Stauffer about the coyotes and wolves only killing the weak and old is about as big of lie as I have heard in my life. Coyotes are opportunists and I have watched them kill healthy deer if they run them in deep snow.

Them son-of-a-bitches got a twin calf of mine two years ago. That pisses me off. Kill em all boys but do it legally. As much as I don't like coyotes especially near my cows, I also don't like people running them down on snowmobiles.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I damn near took out a herd of about 18 antelope earlier this evening. Had to lock'er up coming down highway 83 as they crossed the road. I missed them by about 3 feet and since they were bumper to bumper with each other, it would have been a massacre. To them AND my 4Runner.

That'll wake you up right there!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79