New to snowmobiles, tips?

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of this white stuff led me to getting my first snowmobile and once I get some free time it will be used to run around the prairie and some ice fishing. Picked up a 2007 Yamaha 1000 four stroke, clean sled other than the carbides were wore down to nothing so I ordered some new ones. I have to pick up helmets for me and the better half and there are almost too many choices out there. I am thinking full face non modular but I am stuck on the heated shield or going with a double pane shield? Will we have a lot of fog issues with the latter or should I just pony up another $80 a helmet for the electric shields? Any pictures of ice fishing setups on your sleds? I would like to build a rear rack and maybe a front rack to hold the auger somehow.

Thanks

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
digger auger rack or Johnson Cargo Systems are a good choice

- - - Updated - - -

ice fishing rig (2).jpg

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
extra spark plugs
Motocross helmets don't fog up. You can get different goggles for different conditions.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a 4 stroke...extra plugs won't hurt to have along but you'll probably never use them. Helmets are one place you definitely don't want to cheap out. If you or the Mrs. are fogging up it can really ruin the fun. Make sure whatever helmet you buy seals good around your face so you aren't getting warm moist air up on the visors. Electric visors are pretty bullet proof but you are kind of tied to your sled. I'd rather have a modular helmet over a standard flip up visor. You'll find out that you usually won't fog up while riding. The modular is nice because you can flip up the front of the helmet to prevent fogging while stopped. I wear a SnowX style helmet and googles because they are lighter and I mountain ride. They can fog up also.

I don't have any pics, but when I use my sled for fishing I pull a sled behind with my gear. A digger auger carrier is the way to go, I have it on my SxS

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go heated face shield. Buy scratchers that lubricate track for "no snow" use. Buy the kind you can't destroy by backing up if sled has reverse.

- - - Updated - - -

Stud the track if it isn't.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I like having a gps unit on mine. Not a fan of freezing my phone while traveling.

Perchslayer

Established Member
I hv a vex and a gps on mine and love it I have a 2014 arctic cat M1100 turbo and it's a goer that's for sure I have a studded track and I have a digger auger carrier I also have a set of rod holders on the back I like the 154" track too it gives you more room for storage I have an extra gas tank 12 extra plugs.... will post pics

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind no pics in my phone I have it in my trailer right now so can't go take pics

- - - Updated - - -

I also I also have the 2008 skidoo summit 1000 and it's nice but not quite LOUD enough

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Helmets are personal choice. If you wear glasses it'll be trial and error as I cannot find the sweet spot to not fog my glasses. As far as accessories go scratchers for lube and cooling. If you plan on setting it up to fish, you tube is a good spot to see what is out there. I'm running a Yamaha RX1 and impressed with the little I have rode it. Good Luck

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you've never owned one, take it easy. They are death traps. Especially for inexperienced riders.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy one night after we sat in the bar for quite a few hours, he came out to leave and squeezed the throttle and opened the choke then pulled the rewind and that sucker took off across the road and hit a pickup on the other side of the street. Here his throttle was frozen open and it bent the rear axle on the pickup it hit. Of course the sled was totalled. Really made us aware of the frozen throttle after that!

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like you picked up an Apex. Good sled. Near bullet proof. Carry extra belt and make sure you have a good battery. No use carrying plugs cause if a remember you have to do some sled disassembly to get to them. Maybe carry a small set of jumper cables just in case.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
is this sled liquid or fan cooled? Fan is preferred for ice fishing. If fan and you are on glare ice or hard pack you can bring a bottle of dish soap with and squirt a little on the hyfax every so often. I have never personally needed to do this but heard it works well. BRAAAP

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a liquid cooled 4 stroke. I know it is a heavy sled but it sounds like the yamaha 4 strokes are good reliable sleds. I went through and greased everything I could find and trickle charged the battery and the sled starts right up even in this cold as long as I hit the choke. We ended up ordering some gmax double pane helmets from dennis kirk but depending on the fit and how they perform we might return for electric shields. I hear the skidoo modular helmets are nice but there are a lot of people out there that seem to have issues with them freezing shut when its cold too so who knows. Its going to be a cruiser for the farm and some ice fishing and with helmets we will keep it safe, if we like it maybe next sled will be a higher performance one.

I already picked up some exhaust turnouts so I can use the tunnel to mount something to carry ice fishing or other gear and probably a backrest for the lady. Just waiting for the helmets and warmer weather to get it out!

This year there seems to be plenty of snow on the ice to keep it cool but sounds like I might have to look into ice scratchers in the future to keep it cool.

I do need a spare belt, anything special with belts out there or will any old one work?

Thanks for the input guys

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always burn premium ( non ethanol ) fuel. I always add 1/2 can of isopropyl alcohal to my 5 gal cans of sled gas.

Buy your belt at the dealer. It will cost more but last allot longer than brand x.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If at all possible don't run ethanol based fuel. If you have to , make sure you use ethanol stabilizer and seafoam in the last batch of fuel you use in the late winter. You cannot imagine how bad things go when you don't. I have been working on several sleds the past couple weeks for a guy. Hadn't ran them in a couple years due to no snow. Had to replace jets that weren't able to be cleaned. Fuel pumps that needed to be rebuilt. One had the intake hose in the fuel tank get eaten up. Here's a first too. One had such dry rot from the fuel that the intake boots between the carb and reed blocks literally fell apart. The crap is extremely nasty, especially on older sleds that don't have compatible fuel systems for ethanol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67