Binos x-eyed

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
Noticed this weekend that when I looked through my binos that I had to do a bit of x-eyedness to get a good picture. It wasn't so apparent until I put them down. Then it would wreak havoc on my eyes for 5-10 secs. until they readjusted, to the point of a slight headache. They are about a $100 pair of Bushnell 10x42. I've never had a problem with this before and tried adjusting them to no avail. I don't think that they got dropped or abused since I used them 2 wks ago with no issues. They stayed in the console of the truck where they've lived for the last couple years. Almost like one of the lenses is just slightly out whack.

Anybody experienced this before? Do I need a new pair or is it fixable?

- - - Updated - - -

I refined my google search a bit and came up with recollimating binoculars. Found an instructable and am going to give it a whirl. Worst case I need a new pair of binos, which I already do in their condition.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Noticed this weekend that when I looked through my binos that I had to do a bit of x-eyedness to get a good picture. It wasn't so apparent until I put them down. Then it would wreak havoc on my eyes for 5-10 secs. until they readjusted, to the point of a slight headache. They are about a $100 pair of Bushnell 10x42. I've never had a problem with this before and tried adjusting them to no avail. I don't think that they got dropped or abused since I used them 2 wks ago with no issues. They stayed in the console of the truck where they've lived for the last couple years. Almost like one of the lenses is just slightly out whack.

Anybody experienced this before? Do I need a new pair or is it fixable?

Either the right eye diopter is out of adjustment or the collimation is bad.

Right eye adjust:

Pick an object, you can see well. I like something 50-100yds away with a little contrast so I can focus sharply. I also like to be able to rest the binos or at least lean up against something to improve stability.

With both eyes open, cover the right objective with your right hand. Use the center focus wheel to focus on the object until it's sharply in focus. Next, look at the right eyepiece. There should be a "0" and a "+" turning one direction and a "-" turing the other. There should also be a reference mark on the binoc body. Line up the "0" with the reference mark. Now, with your left hand, cover the left objective and with your right hand, focus using the wheel on the right eye cup, NOT the center focus. Remove your left hand, both barrels of the binoc should now be in focus at the same time. Take note of the position and how much "+ or -" you need to be focussed.

If the above doesn't solve your problem then it's likely your collimation (the alignment of the 2 tubes) is bad and they need to be sent in to the manufacturer.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might sound stupid but did you pull the eye pieces out? I forget this quite often.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I never have pulled them out. Agree that focusing each lens in the precise order mentioned about has worked for me. Exception, the time the collination, or alignment of the tubes, was off and needed manufacturers repair.

I do notice that my eyes change occasionally and need to refocus periodically. Sometimes several times a day if I'm using them a lot. I think wind and dry eyes is the cause in most cases for me.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
both mine and my brothers bino's were doing this. turns out the whole right eye piece was cocked just a little bit. don't know if they got dropped and knocked around a bit or what, but simply making sure the eye piece is fully and properly seated fixed the problem on both pairs. Binos.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I should also add that my bino's are always in my truck when I'm in it. they bounce around and get beat up pretty good so it didn't surprise me to find the eye piece outta whack

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
hahaha I labeled the wrong one in the pic. My bad. Either one being outta whack will provide the same results.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know you guys are trying to help... yes I know how to use binos. It's definitely collimation I located the 4 adjustment screws under the rubber housing and started adjusting them but got interrupted I suppose I will finish up someday but it's already a lot better.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75