ATV Battery Hookups, Power and Wiring

Mizzou21

Hey fellas, I am looking for some advice on ATV power. I have a 16 Polaris Sportsman 1000. It is all factory stuff, including battery. My question is how many accessories can I run without risking my machine not starting while on the ice? I have a Lowrance 5 inch gps on a ram mount that I can plug into the cigarette lighter of the machine. I also use a heated helmet sometimes when moving snow or driving a long ways like on lake Winnipeg and that can be plugged in the cig lighter as well. If I have both of them plugged into cig lighter at same time and shut them down or disconnect when the machine is not running, will I be ok? Should I upgrade the existing battery to a more powerful one? Should I get an auxiliary battery and mount a box to connect these extras to? Thanks for the feedback guys, I would rather be safe than sorry, especially when out on the ice a ways!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me i would mount another battery to the front luggage rack and power things off of there.
You should also mount a quick connect for a slow trickle charger to your battery. If plowing snow and running your winch they use quite a bit of power. Better to be safe than sorry.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i ran my 850xp down to starter clicks a few times after leaving a little h2o gps on for 3-4 hours plugged into a 12 volt socket...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I'm out ice fishing miles from my truck I don't want anything else draining my starter battery. I have my helix 7 wired to its own vex battery that I have in my otter box. I can leave my lake maps on and don't have to worry.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67