new shocks for my truck

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking for opinion of those who have bought aftermarket shocks for your pickups. I read a lot of good reviews on the bilsteins and others but like others have said I respect NDA opinions

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i ever need new shocks i will have my brother re work my bilsteins for me with the brother discount in affect.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would do you mean by rework like rebuild or rebuy

rebuild.... this is where he runs his shock business out of http://www.barrywright.com/shocks.html Its about $1200.00 per shock for the race car so i would guess it isnt worth it with out the little bro discount

- - - Updated - - -

i know he did a set for my sled a few years back and it would have been 800.00

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last few years KYB usually runs a factory rebate of 10$ per shock from March 1st through April 30. Have not seen anything yet for 2017. Keep checking their website if interested...

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it a 12 pack job, or a pay someone else and not waste a weekend kind of job?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to run Rancho 5000's for years on several pickups when sears offered the lifetime warranty on them which I am glad for because I could never get more than a couple years or 25-30k out of them before they were week, sold the last pickup I had them on and sears quit offering the lifetime warranty so I left Rancho behind.
Switched to KYB on a couple pickups mid grade shocks they rode a lot smoother than Ranchos but still no life from them maybe just a bit more than Ranchos.
Few Years ago switched over to Bilstein shocks and have been impressed as heck, had one leak on me after about 3 years but still rode nice, I think I blew the seals out by bottoming them out a few times so I do not fault the shocks there, might have been some abuse on my part.

My vote goes to Bilstein, buy them through Summit racing and keep the receipt for future warranty if it ever arises.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never replaced shocks on any vehicle I owned, guess I didn't know it was that common.

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never replaced shocks on any vehicle I owned, guess I didn't know it was that common.

Had to replace the shocks on my wife's 2011 Silverado at 135,000. It got so rough riding I was afraid of giving granddaughter shaken baby syndrome. Didn't get the classic bad shock bounce they just got stiffer than a wedding night prick

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to run Rancho 5000's for years on several pickups when sears offered the lifetime warranty on them which I am glad for because I could never get more than a couple years or 25-30k out of them before they were week, sold the last pickup I had them on and sears quit offering the lifetime warranty so I left Rancho behind.
Switched to KYB on a couple pickups mid grade shocks they rode a lot smoother than Ranchos but still no life from them maybe just a bit more than Ranchos.
Few Years ago switched over to Bilstein shocks and have been impressed as heck, had one leak on me after about 3 years but still rode nice, I think I blew the seals out by bottoming them out a few times so I do not fault the shocks there, might have been some abuse on my part.

My vote goes to Bilstein, buy them through Summit racing and keep the receipt for future warranty if it ever arises.

I had pretty much the same experience, I mostly change them when I think the miles are high enough and I see tires cupping... then I do it when I put on new tires. These are my first Bilstiens and I like them I guess. I did notice that the boot that the put on tore when I jacked her up and let it extend all the way... I think the just had it zip tied to far down the shock.. Oh well

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
besides Bilstiens and KYB shocks has anyone tried gabriels, skyjackers, or Belltech?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75