will Using mechanized vehicles for coyote hunting become legal?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/65-2017/documents/17-0869-02000.pdf

HOUSE BILL NO. 1377

A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 20.1-01 the North DakotaCentury Code, relating to the taking of coyotes; and to provide an expiration date.BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF NORTH DAKOTA:SECTION 1. A new section to chapter 20.1-01 of the North Dakota Century Code is createdand enacted as follows:Taking of coyotes.Notwithstanding any other provision of law, an individual may use a mechanized vehicle,spotlight, or artificial light of any size or battery capacity to pursue, shoot, kill, take, or attempt totake a coyote.SECTION 2. EXPIRATION DATE. This Act is effective through July 31, 2021, and after thatdate is ineffective

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't give a rip as long as not one deer is disturbed.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good tool for killing coyotes but I don't see this passing. Goes against every ideal with fair chase that all sportsman should believe in.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say open it up to aircraft with snowmobiles to retrieve only , Little impact on the rest of the wildlife.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont like this bill, Im ok with allowing electronic lights but not chasing animals with vehicles, even mangy coyotes.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, I don't like the idea either, just opens things up for causing more abuse and problems. Using them for remote area access and or retrieval only I am ok with but not to "Pursue".

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many states can use lights, and I am OK with that, but vehicles will result in many stressed deer and aborted fawns. When we have landowners who want auto posting already let's not turn snowmobiles loose on the farmers.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
All types of artificial light after deer season is closed would be fine with me. Not sure about the rest.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Good tool for killing coyotes but I don't see this passing. Goes against every ideal with fair chase that all sportsman should believe in.

Just out of curiousity does paying your tax dollars so they can be shot out of airplanes go against every ideal of fair chase or is it okay when the govt does it?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just out of curiousity does paying your tax dollars so they can be shot out of airplanes go against every ideal of fair chase or is it okay when the govt does it?

Much how the government looks at the general public its considered "Population control" when we the people do it it's merely "Hunting".

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This bill really contradicts the no trespass bill. Do you think some punk with a sled running coyotes is going to ask permission??? They don't now and they wont later. Do you think they go find a gate to get through with their sled??? Nope, they cut the fence! Do you think they care that they are harassing other wildlife while chasing coyotes??? Not at all. Most of the goons running coyotes with sleds are not smart enough to call in, stalk, trap, or snare coyotes that is why they want to run them with a snowmobile.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member

When the gov does it that's work, not sport. The gov should do it with the least expense/most efficient means possible. When I had to collect some sandhill cranes I used a heavy barrel, very accurate rife. Some said I wasn't being sporting. I had no intention of wasting money and being sporting. Get her done.:)

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
The point being.......a rancher that has lambs being killed calls the Wildlife Services guy and they come out with a plane and spend the day (and taxpayers dollars) and shoot 20 coyotes and that is fine and "ethical"

the rancher instead of making the phone call gets his sled out and spends a day and shoots 20 coyotes and it is illegal and unethical and he is a "punk" that is too stupid to trap, snare or call coyotes.

Some people like to turn to govt to solve problems some believe in finding solutions to solve them yourself.

Some people are pretty quick to judge when it comes to "ethics" and hunting.

If there is a coyote problem I don't care how "smart" you are trapping, snaring and shooting them will not solve the problem by reducing the population enough.

Isn;t it legal now to ride a sled up to a slough stop and shoot the coyote with a rifle when he runs out?

- - - Updated - - -

Much how the government looks at the general public its considered "Population control" when we the people do it it's merely "Hunting".

Hunting is population control.

- - - Updated - - -

. Some said I wasn't being sporting. I had no intention of wasting money and being sporting. Get her done.:)

Walk up on a calf or lamb still alive with is stomach tore open..(coyotes like starting with the umbilical cord) and this is the line of thinking one gets.

Perhaps the fella driving out from Fargo for a little recreation calling coyotes doesn;t appreciate at that.

Last edited:

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
👍. I agree about the dumbasses chasing but I fully understand and agree with the rancher comment. People forget that just because in your eyes you see a animal as a game species others of us think of it as a varmint. And when it overpopulates and causes problems many think of it as more to hunt. Where the people who deal with it day in and day out have to use whatever means possible to solve the problem. Been there many times with the calf situation and there's to many people out there that have been off the farm for way to long.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Livetohuntandfish I can see your point and gst. I simply want to clarify that the gov does not do it for sport therefore the comparison to hunters can not be made.

Those who want all land posted yet think they should be able to use mechanized vehicles have a conflict of thought. Trespass would become much worse and auto posting would surely pass. Perhaps that's the strategy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62