Recommendations on silencers

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is the best place place to purchase one in nd

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just want to make sure, are you talking suppresser for a gun, or are you looking for something on a Bow? (this is in the archery section)

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
My bad. I was thinking gun
sorry.
Vollmer could you move this to gun section. Thanks

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dakota Silencer was good for me. Had all the paper work already drawn up to set up a trust and they have a good selection.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought all of mine from SRT Arms through James O'Neill and did the transfer through Dakota Silencer, they send them to your door if you have a concealed carry permit otherwise you pick them up in Carrington. PM me for the details, I've done tons of testing while I was in the Marine Corps and shot all kinds and brands and I can honestly say that that VAPR line of titanium suppressors is above and beyond. All of my .224 and 6.5 cans are the VAPR series and my .30's are the Shadow XL Ti, rated up to 300 RUM. Doug Melton from SRT Arms is top notch and easy to work with. Do a trust.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
In simple terms: the trust owns the suppressor, not an individual person. Multiple people can belong to the trust ( ie brother, dad, wife, child). Each member of the trust can possess and use the can without legal reprocusions. The trust is easier to form because it is not linked to one individual thus requiring less law enforcement hoops and checks to jump through.

- - - Updated - - -

Example: suppressor is in your name. It's on a gun in a vehicle that your wife's gets in and uses. She gets pulled over, she is in illegal possession of a suppressor. Also, when you die, I believe she is still not legal to have/use it.

A trust relieves these issues.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figured so but couldn't fathom such BS would be necessary to own/share a quieter gun. I underestimated how dumb laws can be.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
It gets even dumber. Once a trust set up you can add anyone ( that can legally own a firearm ) to that trust and they do not have to go through the fingerprint & background checks

I figured so but couldn't fathom such BS would be necessary to own/share a quieter gun. I underestimated how dumb laws can be.

Hopefully the hearing protection act with get passed in Washington this year.

The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act will remove suppressors from the scope of the National Firearms Act (NFA), replacing the outdated federal transfer process with an instantaneous National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS).
[h=3]Support the Hearing Protection Act - American Suppressor Association[/h]americansuppressorassociation.com/hearing-protection-act/

Moosehunter09

It gets even dumber. Once a trust set up you can add anyone ( that can legally own a firearm ) to that trust and they do not have to go through the fingerprint & background checks

Hopefully the hearing protection act with get passed in Washington this year.

The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act will remove suppressors from the scope of the National Firearms Act (NFA), replacing the outdated federal transfer process with an instantaneous National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS).
Support the Hearing Protection Act - American Suppressor Association

americansuppressorassociation.com/hearing-protection-act/

the problem here is that it is still regulated like a firearm, it needs to be treated as any other accessory like a muzzle break or flash hider. the HPA is just a shitty law being replaced by a slightly less shitty law.

- - - Updated - - -

silencer co is a good place to go through. couple buddies have gone through them and I am way more impressed with silencer co SPECWAR can than I am with the varmenter 3.0 from Dakota. (FYI Dakota does not build the V3.0 it is made by D&G if I am not mistaken)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like less shitty than more shitty so i will take what is given in small steps if that is the case.

- - - Updated - - -

the problem here is that it is still regulated like a firearm, it needs to be treated as any other accessory like a muzzle break or flash hider. the HPA is just a shitty law being replaced by a slightly less shitty law.

- - - Updated - - -

silencer co is a good place to go through. couple buddies have gone through them and I am way more impressed with silencer co SPECWAR can than I am with the varmenter 3.0 from Dakota. (FYI Dakota does not build the V3.0 it is made by D&G if I am not mistaken)

the v 3.0 is made by Mack Bro is Sodak the last i knew.

Moosehunter09

the v 3.0 is made by Mack Bro is Sodak the last i knew.[/QUOTE]

you are correct on that one. my bad

as for ill take the slightly less shitty version, that's fine and dandy, but you are still going to average ~700 or so per can and since you need a FFL to sell one and a manufacturers license to build them you will see the current prices stay.

if we can just get cans off the NFA list then we can have anybody that is currently manufacturing parts that do not need a license making cans too and boom (or should I say pew) we have inexpensive cans and a higher rate of use and back yard engineers building a better mousetrap.

what do you save with the HPA? $200 tax and a waiting period? it still has a serial number. it still needs to go through a NICS check. it is still a pain in the ass. I am tired of getting my rights returned in tiny pieces to keep us quiet.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
One 30 cal can will do every thing for me. Your not being realistic on getting rights back its not going to come all in one fell swoop. I have no interest in back yard engineers as i have no interest in back yard gun smiths. There might be cheaper stuff come to market but i have learned that you get what you pay for and will still buy from professionals who do it for their job. I have spent way more being cheap and replacing junk than i would to just spend up front and have quality.

Moosehunter09

buy once / cry once doesn't work in this arena. why would you put a magnum can on a rimfire? the way I see it is if you want to cover all your bases you need at least 3 cans if you plan to actually enjoy using them.

1) rimfire can because they are small light and don't need to be built to take a 300 win
2) a designated 5.56 can because that's what rolls around in the truck 99% of the time and I want it as small and light as possible
3) a can that will eat a 7mag for all of my bug game hunting needs

that's not even thinking about a salvo 12 or anything for a pistol.

as for the back yard engineering, I feel like you underestimate what can be done on a bench top CNC machine. I also think you are narrow sighted on our rights, but we will save the pissing match for a different thread.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worked in a machine shop for 4 years running CNC so I know what they can do I could machine a chamber but there is more to it than just programming a machine. Shot lots of 30 cal cans on multiple guns good ones do the job very effective. 2 months ago it was a fear of not keeping guns now to want to just do away nfa is unrealistic. Getting suppressors off the nfa is a start that can be snowballed on.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
You asked where to purchase in ND. The gun shop on the east part of Main in Mandan sold a bunch of suppressors back when I lived in western ND. Talk to them before buying. As for effectiveness, as a rule $$$=effectiveness.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is the best place place to purchase one in nd

Dakota Silencer, they have a place in carrington they can ship to....Or dry Docks in carrington and Sportsman's Loft in Minot would be good options too depending on your location.

Edit..I see you're in kulm. Do you have ND CCW? If so you can buy from dakota silencer and they are approved from ATF to mail right to your mailbox. After it goes through their Carrington location

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70