Ecoboost

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have found a good amount of information on the Ford Ecoboost and F150s but figured I'd post here to see if any of you have first hand experience. How about the difference between the 2.7L and 3.5L? Most of the reports I've read say the 2.7 is fine if you don't tow a lot.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Have found a good amount of information on the Ford Ecoboost and F150s but figured I'd post here to see if any of you have first hand experience. How about the difference between the 2.7L and 3.5L? Most of the reports I've read say the 2.7 is fine if you don't tow a lot.

Im looking at buying one also, But I would be pulling a 20 boat around often thou. Im looking at the 3.5L mostly

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
I was looking at those also, but ended up going with the 5.0 v8. there really isn't a whole lot of difference between the 3.5 and the 5.0, mostly throttle response and acceleration. plus a couple grand on price.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 3.5 and love it. I'm not gonna say I always need all the power, but its nice to have it in case I need it. Was looking at the 5.0 when I bought and can't say anything bad about them either. Pretty much the same as what fish-r-man said. Not that much of a difference unless you are gonna tow something heavy often. Comes down to personal preference pretty much.

Merickson1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chas'n- what do you get for mileage on yours? I just bought a 2013 with the 3.5 and if I'm not driving it hard I only get 17. I have bigger rims and a lift but was wondering if maybe running premium might get the MPG's up a bit.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chas'n- what do you get for mileage on yours? I just bought a 2013 with the 3.5 and if I'm not driving it hard I only get 17. I have bigger rims and a lift but was wondering if maybe running premium might get the MPG's up a bit.
I would say you're pretty spot on with 17. I will get 20-25 hi way driving if I'm keeping it under 70, but average 15 or maybe even a little under in winter when I'm warming it up and driving in town. month average best for me has been 20.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2015 with the 3.5. Someone on here recently told me that my 3.5 would have more power than his 5.0 I pull a 18.5 glass boat and am very happy with it. For mileage, I get around 10 when pulling and anywhere from 17-19 when not pulling. I don't know much about the 2.7

Mizzou21

I am on my second 3.5L and have had really good luck with them both. I agree with Fish-r in both the 3.5 and 5.0 are good. My dad has the 5.0. The things I have noticed between the two is my 3.5 would shift a lot less when pulling a 20 foot fiberglass boat than my dads 5.0, but his seems to get a bit better mileage. I recently took my 3.5L on a hunting trip to Illinois and got 19 mpg while driving 75 most of time. That is the best I have done. It seems to get about 11 when pulling a boat or when pulling a trailer with atv on it. The power and torque out of that thing are really awesome tho!! My brother has the 2.7 and likes it, but he doesn't really have the need to pull anything. If you are gonna pull, I would be safe and go with the 3.5 if you decide ecoboost is best for you. Good luck

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 5.0 and a buddy of mine has the same truck with the 3.5. I get way better mileage with my 5.0 but he has more power out of the hole. I think in the end the difference is a couple grand off the show room floor.

With that my wife has an Ecoboost Escape and that this sucks ass for mileage. Even on a good day it only gets 23 mpg which for a little vehicle like that is terrible.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I weighed at the scale pushing 14k. 75 mph on the interstate little or no slow on hills. No 5.0 is going to that period

- - - Updated - - -

I drove to Iowa city on on fill. Mileage is better around town. On hiway equal to my red Chevy.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 14 f150 with the 3.5. I love the truck! Its leveled with big wide tires. Milage in ND avg 15mpg if im good. For some reason as soon as I leave nd my milage goes way up. I could get over 20mpg when I was driving around Ohio last summer. The milage is what it is but thats not why I drive a truck. I can pull a 29' fifth wheel and get 11mpg. Still have to be carefull because the truck will want to go faster then you do. Ive pulled the fifth wheel and my Lund short distances again with plenty of power. I havnt spent much time in a 5.0 but for me the quietness of the eco is pricless. My old dodge id have a ringing in my ear after a long trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and if you ever get the itch for more power $500 and you can be pushing 500hp. I might pull the triger here real soon!

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the 5.0 and a buddy of mine has the same truck with the 3.5. I get way better mileage with my 5.0 but he has more power out of the hole. I think in the end the difference is a couple grand off the show room floor.

With that my wife has an Ecoboost Escape and that this sucks ass for mileage. Even on a good day it only gets 23 mpg which for a little vehicle like that is terrible.

What kind of millage do you get?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only complaint so far is it takes forever to warm up in the winter so it takes a long time to get heat to the cab.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only complaint so far is it takes forever to warm up in the winter so it takes a long time to get heat to the cab.

Ive heard others say that. I think my 3.5 heats up quite a bit faster than my 5.4 does. Granted I park in a heated garage most the time.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is parked outside to be clear. Can't wait to move. Will have an insulated 3 stall at a minimum.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How fast is your motor spinning at 75mph? That small of a motor (3.5L), it'd have to spin much faster to produce the same power of a 5L. I'd think that'd add a lot of wear and tear to the engine life. Anyone have one with 150K miles or 100K miles? I got a new to me pickup 18 months ago and like it and won't need a new vehicle for sometime. I run mine to about 200K. Just curious.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
How fast is your motor spinning at 75mph? That small of a motor (3.5L), it'd have to spin much faster to produce the same power of a 5L. I'd think that'd add a lot of wear and tear to the engine life. Anyone have one with 150K miles or 100K miles? I got a new to me pickup 18 months ago and like it and won't need a new vehicle for sometime. I run mine to about 200K. Just curious.

Forced Induction makes miracles

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

Its actually opposite. I cant remeber the exact #'s but its somthing like 90% of peak torque at 1800 rpm. Thats why it tows so well the peak isnt much more than the 5.0 but the 5.0 needs the rpms to make torque.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69