Boyds gunstocks

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking of ordering one to replace a dinged up stock. Anybody ever order one? How was the fit and finish? Did you have to do much finishing of your own to get a perfect fit?

tommygun23

Established Member
I bought one for my marlin .22 a few years back. The fit was good and the finish was great. Had to file a little bit on the metal piece where the clip went into so the catch would work. But overall it was a real good purchase in my opinion.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one on a 17 hmr and one on my 10/22. The .17 hmr came with it on from factory and is very nice. I put the one on my 10/22 and fit and finish were perfect. From my experiences I would highly recommend.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought one advertised on nodakoutdoors. I bought it for a Savage model 16 with a Criterion barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was a near perfect fit, but cracked when I left it for a few days in a black toolbox in the back of my truck. It cracked in a very thin area between the magazine and trigger group. I put a cross bolt in it like you see in factory socked heavy caliber rifles. I painted it camo and also bought another Boyd for it. I was surprised by the heat damage. I don't know how hot it got, but it didn't hurt the scope.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put one on my .17 WSM a few years back. I really hated the flimsy savage stock that it came with. All I had to do was drop it in and tighten the screws. Perfect fit.

file-1.jpgfile1.jpg

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
Thinking of ordering one to replace a dinged up stock. Anybody ever order one? How was the fit and finish? Did you have to do much finishing of your own to get a perfect fit?

Fit and finish are excellent. Their overall shape isn’t as refined as more expensive stocks but I have about 15 rifles now I’ve put them on. Only fitment issues have been with ruger rifles and they were very minor. Make sure when you put them on you watch how tight you torque the stock. Over torque on these stocks can really affect accuracy. If you get one make sure to snug all your screws and then torque

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought one advertised on nodakoutdoors. I bought it for a Savage model 16 with a Criterion barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was a near perfect fit, but cracked when I left it for a few days in a black toolbox in the back of my truck. It cracked in a very thin area between the magazine and trigger group. I put a cross bolt in it like you see in factory socked heavy caliber rifles. I painted it camo and also bought another Boyd for it. I was surprised by the heat damage. I don't know how hot it got, but it didn't hurt the scope.

seems pretty tarded to leave a gun in a pickup toobox. especially a wood/laminate variety.... well any firearm really. dumb

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No complaints, good stocks, have several

dieseltech

I just put one on my ruger American I had to do a little minor work with a wood chisel to fit the trigger properly

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im the same way. I bought several guns with the intent of having them as "truck guns" and not caring what happens to 'em. Cant do it. They always get brought in and get cleaned, oiled, and babied. Im guess im not built in such a way to ignore a firearm.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a Boyd's Thumbhole laminate for my Savage BMag 17 WSM. Had to take the Dremel grinder to the magazine cavity to open it up a little bit so the magazine would latch in. Still needs some convincing to get it to latch but I think that was because the action didn't sit down in the stock as far as it did in the original tupperware plastic stock. The gun would group down to about .5" at 100 yds. with the plastic stock but I could never get it tuned to much better than 1" with the Boyd's stock so I took it off and it's a safe queen now. I think the problem may have been that I did not get the stock screws torqued to the right level with the Boyd's but the accuracy is back again with the old stock. Sure was a pretty critter with the Boyd's stock though.

IMG_0937.JPGIMG_0920 (1).JPGIMG_0638.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

10 shots @ 30 yards. 7 in the center hole and 3 around the outside. All these groups are from the plastic stock.

IMG_1153a.JPGIMG_0656.JPGIMG_0673.JPG

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79