Tampa FL fishing

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just booked a trip to Florida to go see the wifes Grandpa. Im hoping to do some shore fishing as well as book a charter. Anyone have any recommendations? We'll actually be staying in Venice. MSA dont you go out there? Might try a day of scuba diving as well.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
If you are going late April and later, I suggest fishing for Tarpon. My Dad and I scheduled our 6th Tarpon trip this Sept.!!!!#$%^&>

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know April is a little early but they can still be caught. Who do you use?

Its hard looking online there seems to be a lot of quality inshore and deepsea fishing.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try to go every year, or every other. I just bring my own gear, rent a house on the beach, and some kayaks. Cast anything shiny or put small fish on hooks to catch bigger fish, youll catch stuff. Watch for diving birds from shore, they usually indicate wherebigger fish are pushing bait to the surface.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've stayed in indian rocks beach two different times now once in mid april and once at the end. I only tried the diy fishing one time when I was down there and had a pretty good time. I still think I was doing it wrong, something about catching fish in 2' of water or less just seems weird but the more I read on it the more I should have been focusing on shallower water. I did wade some flats south and caught a few snook and a redfish. Tried for sharks almost every evening but didn't have a kayak and couldn't cast out far enough to get past the second bar, I did swim the bait out once but that just didn't feel quite right. We fished with a guide the first trip, Captain Steve with scales and tails out of Clearwater I think and he was an excellent guide, mainly mackerel and a cobia. Cant remember the second trip guide, I think captain wade osbourne, wasn't overly impressed. we were after tarpon mainly and went to the skyway but didn't want to stay there because we weren't catching any and wanted to go chase redfish and snook. caught a few different fish, no redfish or snook though.

If you are into bowfishing at all I did a trip with florida bowfishing charters for stingray and that was f'n awesome. Best money I've ever spent on a guided fishing trip.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at a scuba spearfishing trip but bowfishing stingrays sounds pretty bad ass!

I think I may need to get a second job untill then to pay for activities.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't use a charter so i cant comment on that but DIY out there was fun. I think we were at Indian Shores just west of tampa. Bought clams from a bait shop and caught baitfish, cut bait and caught sharks in the evening.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I don't know. The guide we are using is Boca Grand Tarpon Fishing with Capt. Chuck Jenks. He lives there and would be able to answer your question. Hiring a guide is expensive but its nice just walking on and off a boat. Caution: If you hook into a Tarpon, you will go back and back and back!!!! Tarpon are a lot fun to catch. Most of the time you have to chase them down with the boat or the Tarpon will strip out all the line.

I know April is a little early but they can still be caught. Who do you use?

Its hard looking online there seems to be a lot of quality inshore and deepsea fishing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56