no more deer for these guys

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
good work...

the animals are stressed... was up by fortuna on friday and saw herds of deer and goats bedded down 100 yards from the road... didn't even twitch when i drove by slow to look... birds were much the same, just barely getting off the road as i passed... hope we don't get this latest batch of snow...

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was at my brother in laws farm on Friday. The deer were eating sunflower hulls below the birdfeeder. You could stand in full view in the window six feet from them and they just looked and kept licking up hulls that will do them no good. The coyotes have killed them within 50 yards of the house. They don't have a dog, so the deer come and lay under the yard light. I guess maybe they think the light keeps the coyotes at bay. There are dead ones laying all over. Many look like they starved because they have no wounds. I think it will be very hard to call coyotes. To many dead deer laying around the countryside.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have been coming into the towns to forage in East ND. Been watching them hit flowering crab trees in the city park and almost hit a herd crossing between the church and the Cenex in another town.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
deer have it quite easy here on the mn/nd border. little snow.
was in Minot a few weeks ago and coyotes are fat and happy there.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
deer have it quite easy here on the mn/nd border. little snow.
was in Minot a few weeks ago and coyotes are fat and happy there.

Yeah, southeast ND there isn't much snow left in the fields and even some grassy areas after that warm spell. Not hard to get around and should be easy pickens until the next storm. That mid-winter melt sure helped ease any stress they had around here.

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
Awsome picture! Might be off topic but what are you guys seeing for this new mange looking crap they are getting. My buyer said it's a hygiene thing but boy has it cut down on my gun fund! Think outa the last 30 I've brought in I've only got paid for 15. Seems like it's getting worse out west here. Last couple wks shot 10 and left 8 cus it was so bad. Worst part is unlike mange I guess they don't die naturally so the damn things Become just a "worthless" nusence.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awsome picture! Might be off topic but what are you guys seeing for this new mange looking crap they are getting. My buyer said it's a hygiene thing but boy has it cut down on my gun fund! Think outa the last 30 I've brought in I've only got paid for 15. Seems like it's getting worse out west here. Last couple wks shot 10 and left 8 cus it was so bad. Worst part is unlike mange I guess they don't die naturally so the damn things Become just a "worthless" nusence.

Are you talking about the lack of underfur between the shoulders? If so, it's caused by a biting lice. Usually includes the pink belly you see with typical mange mites. Like you mentioned it doesn't kill them, so they continue to spread it to others. Its been around for several years now but it's getting worse every year.

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
It could be that. The guy didn't know the name of it. I've mostly seen where they have chunks of lose hair in places or else their coat looks like something you'd see in early October when they are transitioning. I've mostly been seeing it around feed lots or where groups are packed up.

GSIOUXO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talked to a farmer east of Towner today….had 11 of them in a pack yesterday…..sounds like they threw some lead at them but didn't pick any off

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So little snow in se nd hard to pick out the yots in all the brown grass. Getting a light dusting of snow right now, might have to give it a try this afternoon.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is probably chewing lice. The lice chew the guard hair off usually neck and shoulder area and leaves the fine underfur. The coyotes will live and transfer to the next coyote just like fleas. Coyotes that have mange will have patches of missing hair with bare skin. Mange usually starts on belly, tail, and leg areas.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0450.jpg

Third pole full that won't kill anymore deer/calves, haven't had any that were rubbed yet.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Killed a little female west of Huff that had chewing lice between her shoulder blades. She is leaned up against a post along 1806 has anybody spotted her yet ??

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
11204d5ddb9101c17e0d139a5ee1b2a0.jpg

Third pole full that won't kill anymore deer/calves, haven't had any that were rubbed yet.

Nice batch of coyotes! Starting to rub here and breeding season is here with bellies and hips getting weak with warm weather. The second one in has mange.

Last edited:

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice batch of coyotes! Starting to rub here and breeding season is here with bellies and hips getting weak with warm weather. The second one in has mange.

Right, both sides of her belly had those bare spots indicating she was a goner soon, sold her for a good price even with that. This was my third batch that I sold and that was the only one with any sign of mange and what's really interesting was I couldn't kill a male for shit, only shot 3 males all year and the heaviest one was 36 lbs. Lots of dark ones this year with only around 5 being classified as pales, I kept the 2 orange ones and skinned them and tanned them myself, they're getting hung up in my bunker!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75